Sign in to follow this  

KLX to KX weight plan, under the knife....

I have begun my conversion on my KLX to something closer to a KX. The goal is to end up with a KX that has a lighting coil, torquier power than the KX and the wide ratio transmission. I never wanted an electric starter, but when I had my KX I wanted a lighting coil and wider tranny gears. I use this bike for trails and will do some moto as well. Here are some pics of the progress so far. Tomorrow I should have the KX plastics (everything), tank (may get a big tank later) and air box. It is currently torn down and everything electrical has been removed including the starter. Today I will pull the side cover and remove the flywheel. I am going to remove the starter clutch mechanism and gear from the back of the flywheel as well as clean the scavenge screen while I am in there. With the case off I am going to plug the starter hole, probably with an expansion plug. If I ever find a used stock wiring harness, I'll get it and cut it down to the essentials, but until then I will just seal and tuck away any unused connectors on this one so it can become an estart again if I ever want to go that route..... I drained the gas and the initial measurement was 264.5lb. Stay tuned.....

dsc02597mh.jpg

dsc02596n.jpg

dsc02595n.jpg

dsc02593o.jpg

dsc02591a.jpg

dsc02586.jpg

An update. All the starter gears are all removed now, and they weigh a bit more than I expected (by feel at least). I cleaned my oil screen and there was hardly anything in it at all..... Nothing like the KX450 screens that have all the silicone in them. I need to still get a plug for the starter hole, but I have it measured and will visit the auto parts store to see what they have.

Stay tuned.....

dsc02601cd.jpg

dsc02602p.jpg

dsc02605t.jpg

dsc02606l.jpg

dsc02616c.jpg

dsc02612aa.jpg

dsc02613zj.jpg

2 questions -

what kind of rad braces?

what type of oil? was suprised at how dark it is.

They are Devols, but I think the new design is different, these have side braces more like the works connection types. The new ones look to have a different bracing.

The oil is the Castrol Superbike that is recommended in the manual. I bought a bunch a while back and am still using it up, I believe it is called something else now. It is full synthetic and has worked great. The filter and oil are being changed during this teardown as well, but I think it only has about 300 miles on it.... I go by color through the site glass and it was looking ready to me.

EDIT: KMAX I just realized you may be looking at the inside of the case cover and thinking it's dark oil. If that is what you are looking at, that is the color of the case.

The final product... Next on the list, a KX header, XR650R skidplate, Panoram Computer, Flag type Handguards...

dsc02676u.jpg

dsc02675.jpg

Edited by fourstrokin650

Good deal man. I shaved some weight on mine last year with a KXF tank and an EBatt that has since gone kaput. I ditched the speedo, light, front wheel and hub, switched to KXF plastics too. I would have to say that the battery switch was the biggest difference, and since that has turned out to be a waste of money now, I'm gonna be removing my starter and such as well!

I am the same as you guys, KXified as much as possible, but I would never give up the E-Start. Having a ReKluse makes it so you cannot bomb start which sucks when you do stall it!!!! I love the magic button, and I love passing guys during hare scramble races that are stopped kicking their bikes!

I was looking at the oil pooled in the bottom of the clutch housing.

What type of front number plate are you running? looks good!

In the configuration shown, I ended up at 248lbs, shaved 16 lbs. I plan to run a plastic XR650R skidplate, some flag style handguards and a KX header when I get some funds. In moto mode, I'd pull the kickstand off as well. If I find another stock wiring harness, I'll butcher this one and ditch all the extra connections and wire I dont need.

Well since my other threads with updates got deleted with the revert, here are some other pics of what I have done in my butchering.

They include:

- a KX450 Pipe with a PMB endcap for sparky purposes

- a 2009 KX header (only a tiny mod required to make it fit

- a modified KX450f harness that I used to relocate the KLX CDI box out of the airbox and behind the number plate (this leaves me with no wiring to the back of the bike and two leads I can tap into for lights whenever I put them back on), I need to make a proper mount for the CDI still

- an XR650R plastic skid plate I modified to fit the KLX

- a bell cycle computer

- and a zeta speedo gear remover (also posted in another thread)

I need to do a weight check when I have an empty tank again, I am probably not much heavier than a KX in MX trim now :thumbsup:

dsc02724r.jpg

dsc02722.jpg

dsc02704e.jpg

dsc02780c.jpg

dsc02779.jpg

dsc02778bx.jpg

dsc02764z.jpg

dsc02766.jpg

dsc02768h.jpg

dsc02769r.jpg

dsc02772s.jpg

dsc02776x.jpg

dsc02754j.jpg

dsc02748yx.jpg

dsc0018lc.jpg

dsc0016z.jpg

dsc0020wh.jpg

dsc02781bx.jpg

Edited by fourstrokin650

Fourstrokin,

Did you have to modify your seat at the tank junction,use the kx seat or leave it stock?

So I am pretty much at my final configuration. I was hoping to crack the 230's but the final weight in MX mode is 241lbs and 242.5lbs in trail mode. Still pretty good weight drop, 23.5 lbs! I am pretty light myself (170) so, at the MX track I am not really sacrificing much over a KX. I would guess the extra 6lbs or so over the KX are in the 18" rear tire, the flywheel and maybe the slightly larger case. I am lookin forward to the next rides on the track and the trails!!!

Next plan is maybe a motard option with minimal street lighting :)

Here is the Trail configuration 242.5 lbs:

dsc0037sc.jpg

dsc0039ze.jpg

dsc0040h.jpg

Here is the MX configuration241 lbs:

dsc0046oo.jpg

dsc0050i.jpg

Here are the trail parts, the only thing that has any weight is the kickstand but not much. I did a new chain and sprocket but that is negligible.

dsc0051sk.jpg

So I am pretty much at my final configuration. I was hoping to crack the 230's but the final weight in MX mode is 241lbs and 242.5lbs in trail mode. Still pretty good weight drop, 23.5 lbs! I am pretty light myself (170) so, at the MX track I am not really sacrificing much over a KX. I would guess the extra 6lbs or so over the KX are in the 18" rear tire, the flywheel and maybe the slightly larger case. I am lookin forward to the next rides on the track and the trails!!!

Next plan is maybe a motard option with minimal street lighting :excuseme:

Here is the Trail configuration 242.5 lbs:

Nice! Are your listed weights without any fluids?