Sign in to follow this  

Cycra probend and shortened bar Problems

I bought a set of Cycra pro bend and the standard U clamps for pro taper handlebars. The problem is I chopped a little off of each end of the handlebars and now I can not get the pro bends to install. The standard U clamps are in the totally wrong spot and nothing lines up.

Did I waist my money on the pro bends if I am going to run shortened bars? I see there are different ways to mount the bars but I don't want to just keep throwing money at it and not have it fixed. I would prefer to get something that will work for me. I am thinking about taking a little more off of the bars in the future.

Any advice or suggestions?

Sorry for posting another Cycra issue.

Edited by neckrom

Do you have the Pro Taper adapter blocks? If so, they're asymmetrical and can be flipped to have a wider "stance" or a narrower "stance". I have pro taper EVO pro CR HI bars that have not been cut and I used the Pro Taper adapter blocks in the wide configuration and the Cycra guards just barely fit on the bars. Hopefully you can just switch the blocks and gain 1/2" on either side.

Do you have the Pro Taper adapter blocks? If so, they're asymmetrical and can be flipped to have a wider "stance" or a narrower "stance". I have pro taper EVO pro CR HI bars that have not been cut and I used the Pro Taper adapter blocks in the wide configuration and the Cycra guards just barely fit on the bars. Hopefully you can just switch the blocks and gain 1/2" on either side.

The mount blocks for the handle bars are not the problem unfortunately. I have the Pro Taper Contour and because I have cut them the Cycra U clamps are trying to attach on the fat part of the bars. Even if I modified the U clamps to fit the fat part of the bars the angles are all jacked up because of how far down the clamps would attach.

I saw that Cycra makes a triple clamp mount but I am unsure how they work and the Cycra bar actually sticks in past the outer part of the triple clamp because of the shortened bars so I am not sure they will work either.

The mount blocks for the handle bars are not the problem unfortunately. I have the Pro Taper Contour and because I have cut them the Cycra U clamps are trying to attach on the fat part of the bars. Even if I modified the U clamps to fit the fat part of the bars the angles are all jacked up because of how far down the clamps would attach.

I saw that Cycra makes a triple clamp mount but I am unsure how they work and the Cycra bar actually sticks in past the outer part of the triple clamp because of the shortened bars so I am not sure they will work either.

i had the same issue with my cyra pro bends, i used a dremel tool to make the correct andle on the clamps and a peice of billet aluminum that was lathed to the correct lenght and diameter and it works out great!:thumbsup:

heres a link to what the look like now

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779066&highlight=

Edited by Jake400sm
for link to pictures

IF you take off alot, like I did for the woods, you will need to drill a new hole. For mine I had to not only drill a new hole but bend it a lot because I shortened the bars 28.5" IIRC and put on bar risers (1.5") and used the triple clamp mounts.

I went to a set of Team Enduro / Moose / MSR hand guards. Everything fits up pretty good. I am going to have to take off a bit of metal from the lower bar mounts but it will be 1/8th the drama that I would have gone through with the Cycra. I would have had to rebend the guard bars, Modify the mounts, Shorten them both up. The only thing that sucks is that I am stuck with the Cycra Pro bends now as I opened them up and they got a little scratched while I was initially fighting with them. . What a waste of money. Well Lesson Learned. :thumbsup: