XR650L and FMF Q4

Just a quick note to tell everyone about my recent experience with the Q4.

I was looking to replace the stock muffler as the previous owner had taken the baffle out of the stocker and I didn't care for the sound that it made. I had read to not expect too much performance-wise out of the Q4 but my experience says different.

The bike runs simply awesome. I only have the baffle-less stocker to compare it to but the difference is night and day. The bike has more power....everywhere. It revs out better, has more pull and has a much cleaner response. It sounds great and is actually quieter at idle.

By the way, i bought it off Ebay brand new for $260.00 shipped.

P.S. only other mods are smog pump removed, Dave's carb mod and snorkel removal.

Cool-If I get rid of the stocker that's what I will go with!

People think that by removing the baffle (and making it louder) it must have more power. It's been dis-proven many times over here. You just make a lean bike dangerously lean, and unnecessarily loud. That FMF is a quality piece of hardware.

+1 on the Q4. I just threw one on a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. There's a definite noticeable improvement over the stock pipe. I made no other changes when adding the pipe (ran rich with stock pipe knowing I was eventually dropping in a Q4). I had dave's mods and the smog garbage removed prior. The sound is great too! I threw a set of Avon Distanzia's on over the weekend too, loving this bike more and more...

I have the Q4 too, I put it on over the winter so I to just had my first couple rides with it, it seems like now I am able to ride tighter areas in 2nd and 3rd without downshifting, and mid range has a lot more power.

Not to change the subject, but figured this would be a good thread to ask what some of the Q4 riders are jetted at?

I'm in Western PA, fairly low level. I'm at 160/55, but my bike kind of bogged down the other day once or twice at idle, I think I need to dial it in better. I was going to go 160/58.

How about some other Q4 riders?

I have the Q4 too, I put it on over the winter so I to just had my first couple rides with it, it seems like now I am able to ride tighter areas in 2nd and 3rd without downshifting, and mid range has a lot more power.

Not to change the subject, but figured this would be a good thread to ask what some of the Q4 riders are jetted at?

I'm in Western PA, fairly low level. I'm at 160/55, but my bike kind of bogged down the other day once or twice at idle, I think I need to dial it in better. I was going to go 160/58.

How about some other Q4 riders?

I am jetted 158/55 but i have an XR600R piston in my L.........and it`s burning nicely....this thing really flies...:thumbsup:

B

Just a quick note to tell everyone about my recent experience with the Q4.

I was looking to replace the stock muffler as the previous owner had taken the baffle out of the stocker and I didn't care for the sound that it made. I had read to not expect too much performance-wise out of the Q4 but my experience says different.

The bike runs simply awesome. I only have the baffle-less stocker to compare it to but the difference is night and day. The bike has more power....everywhere. It revs out better, has more pull and has a much cleaner response. It sounds great and is actually quieter at idle.

By the way, i bought it off Ebay brand new for $260.00 shipped.

P.S. only other mods are smog pump removed, Dave's carb mod and snorkel removal.

i just did the same thing to my 02 and like you said, night and day

55/160 at sea level 2 1/2 turns out

I have a Q4 and love it as well! Great sound in my opinion, much better than the stock pipe. I also have done Dave's mods, UNI filter, de-snorkeled, de-smogged and jetted with 160/58. Elevation where I live in MN is about 1000 feet.

I have just purchased a new Xr650L and will be doing the de-smogging soon as well as fitting a Uni air filter and a fmf exhasut,question is which one?Q4 or Powercore 4? as I would like to know if fitting the Q4 would result in less power than fitting the Powercore 4 when the bike will be dyno tuned with the dyno jet kit anyway?

I live in Pretoria,South Africa and I am 4500FTor (1350M) above seal level and would like to know what will be the most ideal jetting for the dyno and at this altitude considering that I am fitting a fmf pipe too.

If properly dyno tuned will a FMF Q4 be as good as and deliver the same power as a FMF Powercore 4 on the XR650L?

I really need this advice desperatley and I have tried to introduce myself on this forum.