Sign in to follow this  

XR650L and FMF Q4

Just a quick note to tell everyone about my recent experience with the Q4.

I was looking to replace the stock muffler as the previous owner had taken the baffle out of the stocker and I didn't care for the sound that it made. I had read to not expect too much performance-wise out of the Q4 but my experience says different.

The bike runs simply awesome. I only have the baffle-less stocker to compare it to but the difference is night and day. The bike has more power....everywhere. It revs out better, has more pull and has a much cleaner response. It sounds great and is actually quieter at idle.

By the way, i bought it off Ebay brand new for $260.00 shipped.

P.S. only other mods are smog pump removed, Dave's carb mod and snorkel removal.

People think that by removing the baffle (and making it louder) it must have more power. It's been dis-proven many times over here. You just make a lean bike dangerously lean, and unnecessarily loud. That FMF is a quality piece of hardware.

+1 on the Q4. I just threw one on a couple of weeks ago and absolutely love it. There's a definite noticeable improvement over the stock pipe. I made no other changes when adding the pipe (ran rich with stock pipe knowing I was eventually dropping in a Q4). I had dave's mods and the smog garbage removed prior. The sound is great too! I threw a set of Avon Distanzia's on over the weekend too, loving this bike more and more...

I have the Q4 too, I put it on over the winter so I to just had my first couple rides with it, it seems like now I am able to ride tighter areas in 2nd and 3rd without downshifting, and mid range has a lot more power.

Not to change the subject, but figured this would be a good thread to ask what some of the Q4 riders are jetted at?

I'm in Western PA, fairly low level. I'm at 160/55, but my bike kind of bogged down the other day once or twice at idle, I think I need to dial it in better. I was going to go 160/58.

How about some other Q4 riders?

I have the Q4 too, I put it on over the winter so I to just had my first couple rides with it, it seems like now I am able to ride tighter areas in 2nd and 3rd without downshifting, and mid range has a lot more power.

Not to change the subject, but figured this would be a good thread to ask what some of the Q4 riders are jetted at?

I'm in Western PA, fairly low level. I'm at 160/55, but my bike kind of bogged down the other day once or twice at idle, I think I need to dial it in better. I was going to go 160/58.

How about some other Q4 riders?

I am jetted 158/55 but i have an XR600R piston in my L.........and it`s burning nicely....this thing really flies...:thumbsup:

B

Just a quick note to tell everyone about my recent experience with the Q4.

I was looking to replace the stock muffler as the previous owner had taken the baffle out of the stocker and I didn't care for the sound that it made. I had read to not expect too much performance-wise out of the Q4 but my experience says different.

The bike runs simply awesome. I only have the baffle-less stocker to compare it to but the difference is night and day. The bike has more power....everywhere. It revs out better, has more pull and has a much cleaner response. It sounds great and is actually quieter at idle.

By the way, i bought it off Ebay brand new for $260.00 shipped.

P.S. only other mods are smog pump removed, Dave's carb mod and snorkel removal.

i just did the same thing to my 02 and like you said, night and day

I have a Q4 and love it as well! Great sound in my opinion, much better than the stock pipe. I also have done Dave's mods, UNI filter, de-snorkeled, de-smogged and jetted with 160/58. Elevation where I live in MN is about 1000 feet.

I have just purchased a new Xr650L and will be doing the de-smogging soon as well as fitting a Uni air filter and a fmf exhasut,question is which one?Q4 or Powercore 4? as I would like to know if fitting the Q4 would result in less power than fitting the Powercore 4 when the bike will be dyno tuned with the dyno jet kit anyway?

I live in Pretoria,South Africa and I am 4500FTor (1350M) above seal level and would like to know what will be the most ideal jetting for the dyno and at this altitude considering that I am fitting a fmf pipe too.

If properly dyno tuned will a FMF Q4 be as good as and deliver the same power as a FMF Powercore 4 on the XR650L?

I really need this advice desperatley and I have tried to introduce myself on this forum.