Due to a lack of a newbie forum,

I'll post this here. (Is there one? I couldn't find it.)

How much safety equipment is necessary? I understand the need for things such as helmets, a decent pair of boots, and a sturdy pair of gloves. That being said, what should I be wearing? Elbow/wrist guards? A chest and back protector?

Another question: Are jerseys really necessary? If their point is to reduce cuts/scrapes, could I get away with just wearing BDUs?

Helmet, Boots, Goggles, and Gloves are absolutely necessary!

Motocross pants do have padding in them and they are designed to be able to fit knee protection underneath. A jersey is not required, although they are cheap and easy to take off and throw in the washing machine. Some jerseys have a small amount of padding.

I think beyond what is listed above. There are many options to protect your chest/shoulders/back, like a armor jacket, roost protectors, padding to wear under a jersey, ect.. Many guys wear some kind of knee brace/guard. If you are going to get into jumping and stunts, a neck brace might be good as well.

You could definitely wear BDU's. That is mainly what I wear when I ride. Haven't had the time or the job to buy all the fancy riding gear yet. I got a pair of riding boots, but depending on the riding I am doing, I sometimes just wear a pair of Jungle Boots ( as I don't have the full leather regular issue boots anymore). I have a good helmet and goggles and wear a decent pair of gloves. Once the funds become more available, I will add a chest protector and those extra protective type things.

i ended up buying protective equipment after every crash. ?

helmet/boots/goggles/gloves are absolutes. over the years i added forearm/elbow pads, knee pads, and a chest protector.

jerseys are not necessary. i think pants are worth the money. if you're tight on finances, check out the clearance areas with the big online retailers.

good luck, and keep it safe!

How much safety equipment is necessary? I understand the need for things such as helmets, a decent pair of boots, and a sturdy pair of gloves. That being said, what should I be wearing? Elbow/wrist guards? A chest and back protector?

Another question: Are jerseys really necessary? If their point is to reduce cuts/scrapes, could I get away with just wearing BDUs?

Elbow/forearm guards? Yep. Pics below (before the black/blue/yellow set in) is recent damage WITH them. I can imagine what it would have been like without. The guards had deep grooves in them and a part that with ripped open. I have made a hospital trip for stitches for sure.

Ballistic shorts? Wish I'd have put mine on that day. As they say, dress for the crash, not the ride.

At a min:

- helmet & goggles

- boots

- gloves

- knee

- elbow/forearm

- chest/back

I'd also advise:

- again, ballistic shorts for hip protection

- neck roll or neck brace

forearm.jpg

hip.jpg

i really don't think knee guards, and a leatt brace are extra.

And, I do. I have gone 20+ years of riding without, in my opinion, extra protective gear. Just because some people find them to be mandatory to ride, doesn't make them anymore affordable to someone who may be on a budget.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't find value in any of this gear, and as time goes by, and I actually, finally, get a job, I will begin to acquire these things.

And, I do. I have gone 20+ years of riding without, in my opinion, extra protective gear. Just because some people find them to be mandatory to ride, doesn't make them anymore affordable to someone who may be on a budget.

Now, that doesn't mean that I don't find value in any of this gear, and as time goes by, and I actually, finally, get a job, I will begin to acquire these things.

i have the same feeling. when did these neck braces come out? it makes me laugh when i see OMY i wont even think of riding my bike without my leatt, astar, ect. how may years have these people rode without the brace before they came out? EVERYONE! and how may people just wear it because they think it looks cool? I not saying they dont work because every little protection on these bikes will help but saying you wont ride because you forgot it at home or what not is alittle far fetch isnt it?

Jersey's really only offer better breath-ability, sometimes padding. There is absolutely no way they will help prevent cuts and scraps.

I know this because I spent an hour picking thorns out of my arms after riding in the woods last weekend. Surprisingly, the jersey held up fairly well through it all. Well, better than I did.

I agree with all the above. I ended up getting a killer deal at my local Honda dealer back in December on a whole outfit...pants, jersey and gloves (my choice of anything on the rack) for $79. Ended up getting myself a set and my son a set for Christmas). There are deals out there.

I am thinking about some knee braces in the near future, as I was on the track last weekend and my knees were really sore for the next day or so from the jumps.

Check Dennis Kirk for clearance items. I bought a good pair of Thor riding pants for $13 online last year. You will be much more comfortable in these.

I wear helmet, gloves, goggles, riding pants, padded shorts (for tail bone), boots, and a jersey. I wear t-shirts sometimes but the jerseys don't stick to you like a t-shirt when you sweat.

I like the pants with the leather inner knee, depending on what you are riding the exhuast can burn jeans. Mostly have this problem on quads.

Minimum:

Helmet, goggles, boots, gloves, knee guards (crash once, and you'll see why), chest protector (see comment about knee guards).

Jersey and pants are good, so that you dont' crap up your good jeans or whatever other pants.

Neck brace turns into a religious discussion. I don't wear one, nor do I know anyone who does. But I wouldn't say don't wear one, just decide what is right for you first.

Edited by ajd187
added goggles to the list

Helmet, boots, gloves, pants and chest protector are mandatory in my family.

After landing on my elbows and knees one too many times, I've added knee guards and elbow protection (in the form of a 661 pressure suit and EVS Jersey for the kid) Next up is shorts. The pressure suite doesn't seem to protect the chest as well as a regular chest protector though; so it's a trade off. The boy's EVS Jersey is nice.

Cover yourself in baby oil.

Have two of your buddies pick you up & throw you into a sand box.(while standing 3 ft. above the ground)

You'll figure the rest out.

ALL the GEAR ALL the TIME !?

Edited by old_tri

Jerseys are optional for sure.

I recently got back into riding dirt after a 2 year break. My old dirt boots are completely worn out. My old riding pants have huge holes in them. I bought some shin/knee guards for 5 bucks brand new. They've saved me once so far in the past month. But I wear jeans and my old riding jersey with some heavy duty work boots. I'm saving up for some real riding boots because honestly my work boots are now more protective than my limp worn out old dirt boots, but I'd rather have dedicated riding boots.

I've never had elbow or wrist guards, much less a neck brace, but I could see the value in elbow guards. I don't mind a skinned elbow too much though, but I definitely want to protect my knees. My cheapo knee/shin guards work great and are comfortable and were only 5 bucks.

I still have my old chest protector, but I gave it to my girlfriend because she's really just learning, and I've never "used" it before. Although I have definitely "used" the hell out of my boots and gloves and riding pants.

IMO, helmet, goggles, gloves, boots, and chest protector are mandatory. Jersey and riding pants are not, but they make it a little more comfortable. I've been looking for neck braces for me and my son, but until I get off the unemployment line, they will have to wait. I'm not as interested in one for me as much as for my son, who is just learning and getting more brave every time out. You just have to make the choice of what you feel is right to protect yourself. Just remember, this is a fairly dangerous sport and crashes aren't planned, but the next one may be your last, regardless of what you're wearing.