Trail tech vapor instalation observations

So I just bought a new trail tech computer for my XR650R and found a couple of the sensors to be somewhat disconcerting in design.

The speedometer has a rather nice bolt with a magnet built into it that replaces one of the brake disk bolts but the sensor is this plastic sensor that you need to drill a hole into the brake calliper to mount. The part that sort of disturbs me (besides needing to drill into my brake calliper) is that they use a self tapping screw for mounting to a metal piece. Whenever I have mounted to a metal piece in the past I have drilled and tapped a hole which seems to be a much nicer solution than this and is a nice substitutable for a $5 tap.

The other sensor that concerns me is the temperature sensor that is a machined cylinder with a thermistor in a housing that protrudes into the coolant flow. My main concern about this is that it could impede the flow of coolant through the radiator, however I do not know much about the tolerances of the cooling system. The bike did overheat before it was uncorked but I don't know how much cooler it runs now or if something like this could push it over the edge again and make it overheat.

So I am interested to hear what other people think about these two issues, are they really a problem?

Edited by skizm

So I decided to go ahead and try to mount it, but the pickup for the spedometer does not fit on my caliper in a location anywhere close to the magnetic bolt. Has anyone with an XR650R run into and solved this issue?

• 5 months later...