Pull the trig on a new DR650?

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a new '09 DR650SE. I think I've ruled out cruisers....I think scooters are pretty cool (burgmans, stellas, etc).

My roots are dirt bikes but I'm older now....45 ?. I haven't rode for a while. I want a bike for mostly street and for the most part in town along with cruises on country roads, across fields, etc.

I have the dealer down to $4950 for a new one. 1.9% financing?.

Hmmmmmm.

deck99

Thats not a bad price for a new one. Ive seen better, but Ive got no clue on around there.

I was gonna go with a new one myself. Most of the used ones, guys wanted $35-4000 for. 4-6 years old, and 10-15K miles on em. I was seeing them listed around here for as low as $43-4600. New was a no brainer for me. But I found a good deal on my low milage '08, so I jumped on it.

I'm almost 41 and haven't ridden in about 16 years. I bought a new DR650 about 3 weeks ago. Couldn't find a used one and the nearest Suzuki dealer was 70 miles away. I was pretty rusty, but I've put on about 270 miles so far. I bought it to save money on gas (and fun) for errands around town and for scouting for hunting and bowfishing trips close to home. Riding about 50/50 on pavement and dirt roads; no "offroading". So far I'm definitely feeling I made the right decision between it and the KLR. Some of the back roads are rocky, rutted and muddy and this thing just plugs right along. Not too heavy and bulky. Also pretty agile around town and in parking lots. Feels like the sport utility of bikes. Do it!

I'm trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on a new '09 DR650SE. I think I've ruled out cruisers....I think scooters are pretty cool (burgmans, stellas, etc).

My roots are dirt bikes but I'm older now....45 ?. I haven't rode for a while. I want a bike for mostly street and for the most part in town along with cruises on country roads, across fields, etc.

I have the dealer down to $4950 for a new one. 1.9% financing?.

Hmmmmmm.

deck99

Just curious, what kind of payment does that make?

My wife and I were in a simular place. We'd done dirt bikes for twenty years (we're in our late fourties) and after she picked up a ticket for riding her XR200 on a back country highway we wanted to get onto the street legally. Originally we thought of smaller duel sports but after a deal on a TW225 fell through we re-thought it out and decided to go larger. We'd been Honda people but the XR 650's were too tall, so it was DR650's. Originally we thought that dirt and trail exploring would be fun but for us they're too heavy. Now we use them for moderate distance cruisers ands we love them. (after replacing the seats with Recarzo's) They're light for street bikes, the suspension allows for potholes and other obstacles to be hit. I love the simplicity of the motors. They cruise at highway speeds all day long and seem to handle our overnight moteling gear well. A lot of three hundred mile days that have been awesome. Someday we've thought that some HD cruisers might be nice but to learn the basics of street riding these have been a blast. I think you'll find what your looking for with a DR650.

I have two Harleys and a 1200GS BMW plus a smattering of other bikes in the garage, but more times than not the bike I throw a leg over and ride is the DR. That should tell you something...

I bought a 09 for $4,500 plus set up and tax. Came out to be about $5,100 OTD. I also have an 09 FZ1 and an 03 CRF230F (plated). I love them all but I ride the DR more than anything else. I've ridden several different HDs. They look nice but very boring to ride. You can't go wrong with the DR. It’s fast, nimble, simple and cheap.

While your thinking about it, another day just passed and your one day closer to death. So...

I've had a few bikes in my day. I paid $5k, OTD for a an '09. This is one of the funnest bikes I've owned. Fun to mod and a blast to ride. Great little commuter also. It's not like your dropping $20k on a Harley...

You know what Tiger says..."Just do it!"