Sign in to follow this  

'79 XL75 - parts question

I was wondering what parts will interchange or work on a '79 XL75? This bike is more of an XR now with none of it's street gear remaining. I'm looking to possibly upgrade it a bit using factory and/or aftermarket parts. Suspension, bodywork, etc. So, will parts from later XR80's or XR100's work? If so, what years?

Also, I might put a headlight back on it. Can I change it over from 6v to 12v easily or am I just kind of stuck with that. BTW, the bike is setup to run now without the original battery setup.

Thanks for any insight you can share! :thumbsup:

I have an '83 xr80. I was able to swap the entire front end and rear shocks off a 1979 xr185

• Like 1

Thanks. That is the type of info I'm looking for. Was it a straight swap or did you have to do some mods/spacers on the steering stem?

Anybody else have some good info to share?

Well I have never taken a front end off before til then but it just swapped right over. The rear shocks are too long and have to be compressed to get on. The lower stem is different but they mount up and work great. Improved handling ten fold. Jumping is also fun now.

I have owned both. Most of the parts are exchangeable. but some of the parts are older XR parts. 77-79 Xl75 are the same less paint. Also, if you are getting rid of your XL parts i need the left plastic cover if you want to part with it.

Regards,

-Robert

canammx1, thanks again. :thumbsup:

OffRoadJunkie, thanks for the info and I'll let you know on the cover. I found a mid-80's YZ80 frame I might just drop the XR's engine into. I don't remember what kind of condition the cover is in but I'll check it out.

More XR/XL questions...

Can a 1980+ XR80 cyclinder, head, and piston be swapped onto the XL75 case?

canammx1, thanks again. :thumbsup:

OffRoadJunkie, thanks for the info and I'll let you know on the cover. I found a mid-80's YZ80 frame I might just drop the XR's engine into. I don't remember what kind of condition the cover is in but I'll check it out.

More XR/XL questions...

Can a 1980+ XR80 cyclinder, head, and piston be swapped onto the XL75 case?

That would be a cool frankenbike. Yamonda YR75f. haha

Yeah, I got the idea from the 80's Minis website. They did one and it looks like it wouldn't be too hard a build. I know it would be a major improvement over the '79 chassis. Here is a pic of their coversion.

1984YZ80XR80hybrid.jpg