Any brand of x-ring chain to stay away from?

I need a new chain and was looking for some on ebay. I'm looking at a x-ring or z-ring chain. There are so many manufacturers. Are there any chain manufacturer to stay away from. The ones I looked at were Renthal, RK, EK and D.I.D among others. I was recommended the D.I.D. one but its the most expensive. Are the other ones that are cheaper less quality or is it just mostly marketing.

This is likely the chain i`m getting very soon,,it`s got tons of reviews at Rocky Mountain...good reviews..it`s x ring,and high tensile strength so it won`t stretch like a rubber band...rear sprockets are cheap as dirt there too.like 20 bucks for a 45 tooth.?

B

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&navType=type&webTypeId=36&prodFamilyId=2082&listingId=&sizeAttr=1625

I just put a gold chain on mine, and after 400 miles it still hasn't needed adjustment. I can't compare it to other x-rings, but it's a lot sturdier than the pos that was on it before.

These bikes will wear out a chain pretty fast. Don't get me started on tires!

I, too, read the reviews, and a lot of people are happy with them. I am, too, so far.

Rocky Mountain house brand X ring chain, works great and about half the price of the DID. The house brand sprockets and countersprockets are a good deal as well.

I have been using these for the past couple of years, work just as well as the more expensive brands.

I can vouch for their house brand ( Pro something) $8 front sprocket. I wanted the $20 Renthal but they were out. Totally happy with the quality and finish of the Rocky Mountain one.

I went with the DID X ring chain. Sounds like I'll try Rocky Mountain's next year. BUT this DID is an awesome chain. Beefy gold plates and it just feels like a more subtantial chain over the stock one.

hey guys, quick chain related question - my xrl currently has a 14t (oem 600r) and the stock 45t and stock chain - if I move up to a 48t in the rear, will the 110 link still be the length to get? - if that primary drive house brand is holding up pretty well for people, I'll probably go there for the new sprocket and chain rather than paying top $

hey guys, quick chain related question - my xrl currently has a 14t (oem 600r) and the stock 45t and stock chain - if I move up to a 48t in the rear, will the 110 link still be the length to get? - if that primary drive house brand is holding up pretty well for people, I'll probably go there for the new sprocket and chain rather than paying top $

The 110 will work, but you are probably better off going with a 112 to keep the axle in the same adjustment area.

As for the master link / rivet debate, riveted is better, but the masterlink is nice for chain maintenance removal, and you don't need to buy a 90 dollar chain tool.

I fill the center of the clip with a dab of JB Weld, keeps the clip in place. A whack with a hammer on a screwdriver or chisel is all that's needed for removal.

Sorry to be a bit late here.

I will never again buy the house brand Rocky Mountain chain. In all my years of on and off roading I have only had two chains break. Both have been Rockymountain chains. The first was the O-ring version. It lasted six months and fractured a side plate. No big deal other than being stranded about ten miles from my truck.

I called Rockymountain and they actually comped me the price of the chain so I tried an X ring version. It looked a lot better. It actually lasted about a year before breaking. A pin failed in this case. The reason was failure of the rings. I was not watching it close enough as I thought it still had a few rides left on it. I was wrong. This one broke off the case saver so now I'm riding without one. I have never had a chains rings fail so soon. Anyhow I'm sure dirt and water got through the failing rings and did their evil work. Luckily this failure happened about twenty feet from my truck.

I'm now running an RK chain and I expect it to last six years like the last one.

I've been running the Rockymountain sprockets and they have been working out great.

I can personally assure you that running 14-48 gearing on the stock 110 link chain will work just fine.

I have two wheel sets with different gearing 15-45 & 14-48. I swap them out all the time using the same chain. ?

thanks for the great (and quick) responses yall, I'm def goin 14/48

I'll try the rmatv rear sprocket, and go RK or DID on the chain

I'll keep using the oem 600r sprocket up front

really looking forward to checking out the 14/48 combo offroad

slabs for >30mins on the xrl just gives me a sore butt anyway, so it will be a 20/80 bike from here on out

I reciently purchased a house brand "Orbit" o-ring chain from cycle gear. I found out later that it is made by RK. I think it was $85 or something close. You might want to look into that as well. It seems like a very nice quality chain.

-tmoney12

I ended up ordering a RK EXW yesterday - it was in the cart for $80 and I had a $20 credit with the store, so $60 ain't bad - I originally had a DID chain in my cart, but that was over $100 - also picked up the 48 sprocket and since I have another mt21 rear sitting in the garage already, I'm going to do the sprocket/chain/tire in one session

I anticipate the new 14/48 combo + fresh rubber = good times ?