Sign in to follow this  

kx250f Choke issues

Just bought a 06 kx250F. It had been sitting for a couple of years. Took the carb in and had it cleaned. Dumped the gnats and debris out of the tank. Installed an in line filter. I've had the carb off 3 times now and can not get it to run with the choke off. Let it idle for 10 minutes. Tried running it up and down the street for awhile and still nothing. Fires up on the first kick and runs fine with choke on but the second you push it in it dies...Any suggestions?

How sure are you that the pilot jet is REALLY clean?

Try a new one, a #42. Set the fuel screw at around 2 turns out to begin with.

well like I said it went to the dealer to be torn down and cleaned...I assume they did what they were supposed to. In addition I have had the pilot jet out twice and reamed it with small wire. Can't see anything in it or the seat. have also wired out the main jet, needle jet and starter jet. In hind sight the one thing I haven't taken out is the pilot air jet....Ya think maybe that's it?

well like I said it went to the dealer to be torn down and cleaned...I assume they did what they were supposed to. In addition I have had the pilot jet out twice and reamed it with small wire. Can't see anything in it or the seat. have also wired out the main jet, needle jet and starter jet. In hind sight the one thing I haven't taken out is the pilot air jet....Ya think maybe that's it?

Assume nothing, not all dealers can work properly on all bikes all the time.

What is a starter jet?

Either the engine does not get gas, or it gets too much air.

Check for air leaks. And check that the hotstart closes completely.

And maybe have someone else tear down the carb and make sure all passages are clean, not just the jet itself.