Rear Shock

Well if it hasn't been rebuilt in 9 years it's about 8 years overdue. Did it leak oil? Riding on a shock that lost oil is the fast way to destroy it. Does it rebound really quickly? Probably best way to tell is to pull the spring off and stroke the shaft. If there is air in it you can tell easily.

Well i just bought the bike from a friend of mine, i know the history of the bike and it hasn't been used for about 4 years. Its in very good shape. The one thing i can tell you is that it doesn't rebound quick, it just seems like it sinks down more than it should when i sit on it and im only about 170lbs. I just turned up the adjustment screw to see if it would make a difference but i don't think it did.

Well i just bought the bike from a friend of mine, i know the history of the bike and it hasn't been used for about 4 years. Its in very good shape. The one thing i can tell you is that it doesn't rebound quick, it just seems like it sinks down more than it should when i sit on it and im only about 170lbs. I just turned up the adjustment screw to see if it would make a difference but i don't think it did.

Do you have access to a manual that tells you how to set the race sag? By adjustment screw do you mean compression or rebound adjustment? If so that won't have any effect on spring height with you setting on the seat.

I'm following this thread cause I'm having the same issue. I put weight on the bike and it just goes all the way down. Even standing the bike upright from the kickstand it will sag just a little. When I take my weight off the bike it takes about 4 seconds for the bike to recover and come to full height.

I took the shock and linkage out figured I would at least service the whole swing arm assembly. Now how do I check the shock to see if it is good? If I take the spring off what am I looking for.

I don't see any leakage. Does nitrogen eventually leak out?

Help me out guys.

Not trying to hijack but it looks like we are having the same issues.

I do not not the history of this bike. I just got it about a week ago.

... When I take my weight off the bike it takes about 4 seconds for the bike to recover and come to full height...

what's your rebound setting?

Now how do I check the shock to see if it is good? If I take the spring off what am I looking for.

I don't see any leakage. Does nitrogen eventually leak out?

does the rod expand by itself after you'd compress it? it will only expand if the rebound isn't fully closed and there is some nitrogene in the shock.

if you hear a slurping noise while moving the rod there is air in it and needs to be serviced by an experienced suspension guy

If its never been serviced before I would say that you should have it done.

It at least needs new fluid and with that comes a psi or nitrogen charge. Being its an 01 I also wouldn't doubt it needs new bushings.

I have the same bike...

Just have the shock serviced and they will replace any wear parts when they are in there. Be sure you or the guy servicing it check the top bushing as well... replace if it doesn't move freely. While shock is out tear apart your entire suspension and clean out & regrease all of the needle bearings. If new to this, check out this how-to series: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=857961

Also check your rear wheel bearings for smoothness.

Enjoy your 01! It's really an excellent bike and the motor is one of the most versatile I've ever ridden...keep a fresh piston & rings in it and clean the powervalve regularly.

p.s. change your fork oil as well.... pretty easy to do...check out youtube for how-to videos if you haven't worked on a TC Showa before.

Thanks for the link. Actually I'm taking the shock in today to have serviced and tonight I'm doing the bearings on everything. The only thing I haven't pulled off is the swing arm. I'm a little nervous from reading about all the seized bolts. But everything else was still in god shape. I'll cross my fingers.