broken piece on bike

can someone explain the significance of this piece to me?

DSC01193.jpg

I don't know when it broke, I road it last week and that piece was ok. When I got home from a 20-30 minute ride today I noticed that part of it had cracked off like someone had kicked it. did I do any damage to the bike riding with that off?

thanks

That is the coolant overflow bottle.

Either replace it or do the "turkey baster mod" (do a search for it).

yep "turkey baster mod" do that

thank you

No problem...

Hey...you may want to put some case savers on your bike and grind (round off) the back of the shifter if you haven't done so.

Have fun!!

No problem...

Hey...you may want to put some case savers on your bike and grind (round off) the back of the shifter if you haven't done so.

Have fun!!

+1

When I bought my bike I missed the fact that the PO had dropped it and cracked the case (and poorly repaired with JB Weld). I fixed the case and put on TT case savers, which I am sure have saved the case cover in two instances (what can I say, I have a tendency to ride just beyond my ability!).

:thumbsup:

I have a coolant tank someone can have if they need it for the price of shipping.

No problem...

Have fun!!

I've got the TT case shields. Are you talking about grinding off the back of the shifter that is next to the engine case? I put an MSR shifter on it to be a bit stiffer. Still have a nice groove in the TT case shield... Remind me to not teach people how to ride on my bike again... :thumbsup: