Sign in to follow this  

KTM 200xc, 300xc-w, or 400xc-w? Which one?

Hello. I'm looking to get a new bike within the next couple months and was looking for some input from some outsiders with insiders opinions and experience. I have been riding a CRF450X that has been modded to the hilt and a yz250f that is bone stock. I really like the X because it's like a cadillac, and is dual sported. The only problem is the weight for woods riding. On the other side the yzf is light and agile but the suspension is too stiff for trails and the gearing needs to be for for offroad . I ride mainly woods, don't race, and am usually with a herd of quads when I ride. Looking to sell the yzf and get one of the above KTM machines. I like the lightness of the 200 and 300, but don't know for sure if the 200 will plug along with the 300 2-stroke and 400 4-stroke. I realize the weight of the 400 will be a little more, but it's also got an e-start. I want a bike that is set up out of the box with suspension that will handle my 165-170 lbs thats plush and great for off road riding. Lightness is a factor, but any of these will be lighter than the X. The bike will get a Rekluse clutch, but that will be it as far as mods go. Any help on this decision would be great. Thanks.

The 200 will "plug along with a 300 2-stroke and 400 4-stroke...."

If you're riding quad trails I don't really see where weight becomes an issue. However, if you do want something lighter then go 2st, the 5-10lb difference of the 400 isn't going to be very noticeable compared to your X.

The 300 has electric start as well.

I have a 300 XC-W and like so many others think the bike is great. On the other hand, I test rode a 400 xc-w for a day at Highland Park resort in Georgia and absolutely loved the bike. I am surprised more people aren't riding one. Everyone goes with the 450 it seems. I think it comes down to the 2 stroke, 4 stroke question. If you prefer the ride/feel of the 4 stroke, get the 400--you will NOT be disappointed. It is a great bike. Get on line and check out dirt bike mag, they just did a comparo on the Husaberg 390 vs the KTM 400, they picked the KTM as winner.

This is a long shot, but worth it...take a road trip and check out Highland Park resort. Great place to ride and you can rent a KTM 200 and 400. I don't think that they rent the 300. Best way to do it before you spend your hard earned cash and end up disappointed.

Go 2 stroke. Everyone I know that has owned a 300, loves it.

The 300 has electric start as well.

I have a 300 XC-W and like so many others think the bike is great. On the other hand, I test rode a 400 xc-w for a day at Highland Park resort in Georgia and absolutely loved the bike. I am surprised more people aren't riding one. Everyone goes with the 450 it seems. I think it comes down to the 2 stroke, 4 stroke question. If you prefer the ride/feel of the 4 stroke, get the 400--you will NOT be disappointed. It is a great bike. Get on line and check out dirt bike mag, they just did a comparo on the Husaberg 390 vs the KTM 400, they picked the KTM as winner.

This is a long shot, but worth it...take a road trip and check out Highland Park resort. Great place to ride and you can rent a KTM 200 and 400. I don't think that they rent the 300. Best way to do it before you spend your hard earned cash and end up disappointed.

This is pretty much it. The 400 is less than 5 lbs lighter than your CRF450X (if it was stock) with full gas tanks, but carries 0.6 more gallons of gas.

This is pretty much it. The 400 is less than 5 lbs lighter than your CRF450X (if it was stock) with full gas tanks, but carries 0.6 more gallons of gas.

And needs less maintenance....