Sign in to follow this  

CRF 230 vs TT-r 230

Any obvious differences besided color???

For $3500 off the show room floor...these bikes are mildly attractive!!!

There's a great article here:

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=593308

If you look at the specs I believe they are almost identical in stock form.

I've always been a Honda guy so I'm too biased to subjectively comment and I have never ridden the TT-R230 nor have I ever had a chance to run with one in the woods. I do believe, however, there are more aftermarker parts for the CRF230F. Both engines are based upon proven old-school designs and are incredibly reliable if given proper attention.

My nephew rides a CR250 and an older WR250F and he says in tight woods riding his friend with a TT-R230 is always right there with him. I do see more CRF230Fs than I see TT-R230s, if that means anything.

Both are "budget" bikes so you can't expect much performance without some careful suspension setup and rejetting. My CRF230F became a very good bike after I set the race sag at 25%/33% and used Mike Coe jettings specs.

I'v never riden a 230 but I have riden a 125 which is basically like the 150/230 Honda similarities. I didn't have a very good experiance. The chain broke, just riding in 2nd gear, the kick and electric start didn't work very well. Of course keep in mind this was a rental bike. I'm also a Honda-4-life guy so I also am biased on the subject. Like Gabe said, pick a color.

(Go with Red)

My daughter got a TT-r 90, so if I DID just choose a color, I'd have to go Blue just to make her happy!!

Im messed up though... as I'm also looking hard at a DRZ 400, a CRF 250 X and a KDX 220....

yamahas are a lot harder to work on, they have poor fit and finish and seems like no thought of the future owner was put into it

yamahas are a lot harder to work on, they have poor fit and finish and seems like no thought of the future owner was put into it

and I was gonna say "pick a color"... :thumbsup:

I think the crf has a higher seat height,I sat on a TTR 230 and it only felt like my 150F for height.My 230 is a few inches higher.

Put a USD fork and a Works rear on the Honda 230 and you have a bike that is even taller. LOL

For the guy that has a CRF250X in his post, they are had for 4300.00 shipped to your door if you are not in Oregon and not further than me in So. Cal.

The TT-R 230 has a higher comp., larger bore, heavier, but is .1" taller and hold .2 more gallons of fuel...if that matters.

The CRF230 has more rear travel, larger disc brake, and is lighter.

Any obvious differences besided color???

For $3500 off the show room floor...these bikes are mildly attractive!!!

They're even better when you get a like-new 230 for under $2K. IME: Red ones are a little more expensive than blue.

My daughter got a TT-r 90, so if I DID just choose a color, I'd have to go Blue just to make her happy!!

Im messed up though... as I'm also looking hard at a DRZ 400, a CRF 250 X and a KDX 220....

Hi Sapphire,

I've seen your posts in a couple other forums. Congrats & welcome back to the dirt! It sounds like you are in a similar situation to where I was a while back when I got my son a PW80 to get started. From there, I've slowly built up the collection as you can see in my sig & garage. With the exception of the DRZ, I've looked at the same selection of bikes you are looking at now & you can see the direction I chose. I'm happy with what I've got so far. But that's just me.

Some things to keep in mind as you bike hunt (what fun!). What kind of riding you think you will do the majority of the time, i.e. play, trails, mx... It looks like you have a house with several potential new riders - and yourself with what sounds like at least some previous experience.

IMO versatility is a good thing. You'll want something you can putt around on with the kid(s), yet still be fun for you. Also consider good step up bikes for the others. The 230s (agree with the others - pick a color) will be fine for you to play with the kids on & would be easy enough for your wife or girls as they get older/bigger, to ride later on if she decides to join the fun. Ofcoarse that assumes she's not real short. The easier you make it for her to join, the more likely she is to try it out. But, if you want to go serious MX, or go fast with the guys, the 230s probably wont be enough for you - unless you mod heavily.

The DRZ, 250X, & KDX will probably be lots of fun for you, but probably not as easy for the wife to learn/play on & maybe less fun putting around on. FWIW, My hub is the experienced dirt rider in the family & easily pushes our bikes to their limits, but has a blast riding any one of them.

Ofcoarse $$ and how much maintenance you want to do also plays into your choices too.

Hope this helps some... Have fun!