'07 RM-Z 250 - Preventative Maintenance

Hey guys,

I bought a used '07 RM-Z 250. Is there any way to tell how many hours are on the bike. It's in pretty much mint condition but I want to know what I should check before riding it. The guy who sold it said his son used to ride it before he moved out and he didn't know how many hours were on the bike.

I did the obvious oil/oil filter/air filter changes. I hear repairs on 4-strokes can be quite expensive so I just wanted to ask around to see what kind of preventative maintenance can be done to ensure a couple years of hassle free riding.

I downloaded an electronic service manual so if anyone needs it, just send me a message and I'll email it to you.

Thanks!

check valve clearances, check valve seats, check valve springs, install new top end, new cam chain, new clutch basket if needed and new chain/sprockets, new tires, new air filter, change the oil, flush the coolant, check the water pump impeller, refresh your suspension oils and seals and add in a new spark plug. That's about $1,000 though. ?

Haha thanks for the tip but I don't really want to spend a thousand bucks. The bike runs perfectly fine and kicks over on the first or second kick. Although I did notice a backfire/popping sound coming out of the exhaust when going down a steep hill in a low gear or just generally reving a bit high. I just don't want the engine to blow on me so I want to check the stuff that could potentially cause big problems.

back firing on a compressed engine is normal to a certain extent.

You will be completely fine. Thats what I thought when I got my RMZ. But 67 hrs later its still runnin' like new, and now I want it to blow up. Then 2010 RMZ 250 BABY!

Haha thanks for the tip but I don't really want to spend a thousand bucks. The bike runs perfectly fine and kicks over on the first or second kick. Although I did notice a backfire/popping sound coming out of the exhaust when going down a steep hill in a low gear or just generally reving a bit high. I just don't want the engine to blow on me so I want to check the stuff that could potentially cause big problems.

richen your fuel screw on cold days.

The only thing I'd do beside what you have doen is to check the compression. You can buy a compression tester at autozone for about $20. This is something you can do which will tell you more about how much engine life is left. Besure to remove the air filter and open the throttle and kick it over 10 to 15 good kicks. Also, engine life is compaired to how you ride. The faster or harder you ride the faster you'll be needing engine work.

• 2 months later...
wow so many sugestions

if you change the oil and filter regular and keep the air filter clean. then just ride it. after all "if its not broke dont fix it"

SUREEEE THINGGG!!!!! You just keep riding.........................till it blows....

Keeping a count of the compression tells you when your going to need a top end BEFORE the rod jurks from the piston slaming the piston into the head....?

• 3 weeks later...

With the 07 rm-z be very very careful of how you start the bike.

NEVER kick it "like a 125" or just start it with out thinking how to start it.

According to Suzuki the correct manner to start the bike is to cycle the engine through at least twice, then find TDC and then hoof the little bugger, if it fails to start the start again with the two cycles.

The 07 has a tendency to crack engine casings. which Suzuki says is due to improper starting procedures.

Here is a link for pics of mine so you know where to look to keep an eye on it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/erle.vaughan/Crankcase?feat=directlink

I had mine fixed and rebuild and it is great now, however it has also just started backfiring under compression, but it is winter here in SA now. I check my valves today and they still fine.

I have done just under 20hours since my rebuild.

Edited by erle_vaughan
more info

I don't have any issues starting my bike. Starts first kick pretty much every time. After it's warm, I try kicking it once or 2 times and if it doesn't start i use the hot start and it starts no problem. I never even have to kick it that hard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
With the 07 rm-z be very very careful of how you start the bike.

NEVER kick it "like a 125" or just start it with out thinking how to start it.

According to Suzuki the correct manner to start the bike is to cycle the engine through at least twice, then find TDC and then hoof the little bugger, if it fails to start the start again with the two cycles.

The 07 has a tendency to crack engine casings. which Suzuki says is due to improper starting procedures.

Here is a link for pics of mine so you know where to look to keep an eye on it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/erle.vaughan/Crankcase?feat=directlink

this may be a dumb ? but how do you know when your at TDC