Sign in to follow this  

08 TTR230 wont run

:thumbsup: my got my bike out to take the first ride in about 6weeks and it cranks but everytime i give it gas it spits and spudders and almost shuts off changed spark plug and set the right gap took card off not sure what i'm lookin at but it looks clean any ideas? :lol: oh do these bikes have fuel filters?

Make sure your battery is fully charged. They have a dc cdi. Better yet replace it with a new one and use a trickle charger on it if sits for longer then a couple of weeks.

If the bike starts with the "start button" their's nothing wrong with the battery. The battery's hardest job is turning the engine over. After it starts the ignition system doesn't depend on the battery. It works off the alternator, which also charges the battery. Send the money you saved on a new battery to "The Shortfellow Foundation". LOL

the batt. is dead i have to jump it off but it runs fine at idle its just when i give it gas it craps out

If the bike starts with the "start button" their's nothing wrong with the battery. The battery's hardest job is turning the engine over. After it starts the ignition system doesn't depend on the battery. It works off the alternator, which also charges the battery. Send the money you saved on a new battery to "The Shortfellow Foundation". LOL

Are you talking from experience or do you just know it all ?

If you have a low or defective battery on these bikes they will start and idle fine but will not take revs.

if the battery will not take a charge you will have to start there anyway so change it. I would soak the carb in a can of cleaner for at least a few hours, then blast some carb cleaner through the jets. If you are still running stock jets think about changing them. check out the sticky for proper sizing.

Good luck

may be a stupid question but are you letting the bike properly warm up before you start cracking the throttle? i know my bike doesnt respond well to any type of throttle movement when its cold:ride: