Crankcase and clutch cover bolts

I have a small oil leak coming out of where my sprocket is or some where in that area. I went to check the crankcase and clutch cover bolts and they are barely even snug. Are these supposed to be that loose?? How tight should they be, I lost my manual so I have no idea.

I snug mine up using a 1/4" drive socket. Never too tight, you can brake the head off causing a hell of a problem....

ya i'm using a 1/4 drive socket, i'm making them about as tight as you put in a spark plug. snug. Or about 1/3 of a turn tighter then most of them were. . . . . . I hope this is right

Ever hear of a torque wrench?

On most bikes they are typically around 8 ft/lbs

I personally also just snug them up, along with a lot of the bolts on my bikes :thumbsup:

If you don't have the feel, and don't work on bikes often, I'd recommend a torque wrench. When in doubt use a torque wrench!

With enough experience, most bolts you can hand tighten and not have problems. You think your dealership busts out the torque wrench on case bolts??

I use a T-handle with one hand holding it my fist between my middle and ring finger and tighten by feel. I stopped torqing the small bolts when I broke a clutch spring bolt at 8.1 ft-lbs trying to go to 9 ft-lbs (using my Snap-on digital).

I don't know if it is the problem, but on my kx250f, behind the front sprocket there is a seal and behind that a collar and then two o-rings. I just had a leak there. You just have to replace the seal and two o-rings. I don't know if its the same on your bike or not.

8 ft/lbs just doesn't seem tight enough. I tightened mine up a little more then that. I think the leak may be in my sprocket seal and o-rings anyway

What the hell is a torque wrench your talking about?????

I don't know if it is the problem, but on my kx250f, behind the front sprocket there is a seal and behind that a collar and then two o-rings. I just had a leak there. You just have to replace the seal and two o-rings. I don't know if its the same on your bike or not.

On those tiny bolts it's plenty to not have them vibrate out, since you are biting into aluminum especially.

edit: of course other bikes might be different.. Most bikes I've worked on use bolts with a 8mm head on them, and have them spaced very close together (like 1-2" apart)

Its your gearbox seal take off the sprocket and replace it not expensive.

After doing some research and this thread I realize the leak is in fact my counter shaft seal. I"m going to replace the seal and o-rings. thanks guys

No problem