Just bought 650r, having a few problems...

It's a 2001, beautiful cosmetic condition, seems to be stock save for the fmf can. The last owner owned it for less than a year and only rode it a couple times. It scared him, so he just let it sit there for 8 months then decided to sell it. The bike looks to have very low hours on it... Anyway, onward to the problem. It's pretty difficult to start, and idles very roughly when I get it started. I've put about 1 mile on it up and down the block, and it's got great power once you get the revs up...

I drained the gas, added new premium, replaced the plug, and sprayed in some carb cleaner. No change. I'm assuming the carb (at a minimum) needs to be gone through, cleaned thoroughly and re-jetted. Does that sound like a decent diagnosis? Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!

Yeah, the carb can be a little fussy. Clean it up really good and see what jets you have in it. Adjust your valves, too.

+1

Plan on replacing the pilot jet. Rarely worth cleaning that part, imo. There always seems to be some residue that you can't get off that makes it slightly lean when cleaned.

i was in your same situation. I bought a 2002 XRR with 20 miles on it a year ago. Never ridden, just sat in the garage. The bike would run, but the carb was always causing issues and dripping gas. 6 year old gas is no good. It took several cleanings of the carb and adjusting the float a little. Now it is fine. I'd suggest another thorough cleaning and an Italian tune-up around the neighborhood!

Thanks for the replies! I'm not exactly what you'd call "mechanically inclined" when it comes to engines/carbs etc... I'm a woodworker, I'm scared of steel. So I think I'm going to take it to a local bike mechanic who's been fair with me in the past and have him clean/adjust/re-jet the carb, and do a quick valve adjustment. To me it's worth having a pro do it, because I have no idea what I'm doing past oil changes and adding air to the tires...

Thanks again for the advice, if anyone else has another idea, feel free to chime in, I could use all the help I can get...

I'd advise working on the carb yourself. There's a wealth of information here to help you, and it's a piece of cake once you get familiar with it. Not only is it a rewarding experience to understand your bike and to be able to tune it, but you'll save a boatload of money in the process.

Here's a site our very own BWB63 put together years ago for the 650R. There's even a link to the service manual.

Here's a site our very own BWB63 put together years ago for the 650R. There's even a link to the service manual.

I'm interested in checking out the site you're talking about, but I can't seem to find a link in your post...

I'm interested in checking out the site you're talking about, but I can't seem to find a link in your post...

That's 'cause I'm a tard and didn't put a link in my post. :thumbsup: Agent2 took care of it.