Bearing puller

OK, I admit that while I over maintain certain things, I generally am terrible at the upkeep on my bearings. I grease the wheel bearings a couple times a month when I change tires, but that is it.

Time to change. I am not interested in the bearings you recommend, but just what tools you have to get them out. Is there any chance that one puller will get the wheels, swingarm, linkage and steering stem? Two tools?

Please help. Pics and links to places to buy would be great.

Joe, pick up the blind bearing puller from Harbor Freight for the wheel bearings. I've got one if you want to borrow it. Swingarm and linkage will take a different tool. I've got that as well if you want to borrow it. For the steering stem, they do sell a tool, but I've alway just used a punch to remove the races and had a shop press off and on the bearing on the lower triple clamp. Links to the tools below. Let me know if you want the tools and I'll get them over to you. Or if you need help, bring the bike over and I can let you use the tools and give you a hand.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95987

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0213/

Thanks for the offer Paul, but you are still not getting a transfer out of it!

Seriously though, I appreciate the links from you and Greg Y. I need to do this, have an inside line on inexpensive bearings, I just want to set myself up right to make it a habit to do them.

Seriously though, I appreciate the links from you and Greg Y. I need to do this, have an inside line on inexpensive bearings, I just want to set myself up right to make it a habit to do them.

The wheel bearings are tough to service. By that, I mean doing a complete service. Its easy enough to clean and lube the outside edge. You can see the inside portion is not accessible while its in the hub. Its also tough, if not impossible, to remove them without damage. I'm not sure I would reinstall a 8.00 bearing once its been pulled from a hub. I think these are disposable now..

Obviously, the swingarm, linkage and steering head is a whole different matter. I would appreciate someone inventing velcro seals on the steering head as mine is basically garbage whenever it gets opened.

I've done many wheel bearings, linkage and swing arms and I hate to admit it but the only tools i've used are a large flat tip screwdriver and hammer. I know I'll get flamed for this but seems to work fine with a little care.

LOL! I'm still waiting for the Prospector's final results to come out. Then the lobbying will commence! If not, I'll just have to out last my class at Vikings. The rest of the old/slow class normally doesn't like 2 loop nationals, so all I should have to do is finish and stay ahead of Maurice!

I've done many wheel bearings, linkage and swing arms and I hate to admit it but the only tools i've used are a large flat tip screwdriver and hammer. I know I'll get flamed for this but seems to work fine with a little care.

I have done the same. I have a few pullers, but reserve them for the stuff I am trying to reuse.

The wheel bearings are tough to service. By that, I mean doing a complete service. Its easy enough to clean and lube the outside edge. You can see the inside portion is not accessible while its in the hub. Its also tough, if not impossible, to remove them without damage. I'm not sure I would reinstall a 8.00 bearing once its been pulled from a hub. I think these are disposable now..

Obviously, the swingarm, linkage and steering head is a whole different matter. I would appreciate someone inventing velcro seals on the steering head as mine is basically garbage whenever it gets opened.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that I would be reusing them when I pull them out, I will be replacing them for sure. I'm not that cheap!

Sorry, I wasn't implying that I would be reusing them when I pull them out, I will be replacing them for sure. I'm not that cheap!

That makes sense!

I swear a big punch works just as well. I had a few of the blind hole bearing pullers for the wheels. All that would happen is this. You woudl use the small one first. It woudl then rip the center of the bearing out. This sucked as it left the outer race in position. If you were lucky, you then used a larger puller.

I finally got angry and "made" my own punch. I used a 1/4 inch pin punch that was abotu 8 inches long. I ground the working end at 45 degrees. If you hit it just right, it drives the entire bearing out. The same punch works perfectly on steering head bearings as well.

Then, if you want somethign really nice, try one of these. https://www.4wdfactory.com/store/products.php?product=Bronze-Drift-{47}-Punch-Bearing-Installing-and-Removing-Tool

These are handy to have around. You can hit stuff without damage!