Sign in to follow this  

crankshaft installation: 2008 KX250F

Will the Tusk Crank Puller tool work for pulling this crank into the bearings? There are some models that this tool will not work on so just wondering if it will work on this motor. Making plans to help a friend with his motor.

Thanks in advance.

If you do it carefully you can press the crank in the right side case with the puller. How ever there is a simple way.

Place the crank in a ziplock bag and spray it with oil. Then place it in the freezer for 30 mins. (you can do this when installing crank bearing in the case)

Next heat the inside bearing up not super hot to cause blueing ( if installing bearing heat the case) next remove crank from freezer and it should drop right in with minimal pressure or even none. Next be ready to get your sealent on the case. Heat the left side crank bearing and install may need a rubber mallet and it should drop right in.

• Like 1

If you do it carefully you can press the crank in the right side case with the puller. How ever there is a simple way.

Place the crank in a ziplock bag and spray it with oil. Then place it in the freezer for 30 mins. (you can do this when installing crank bearing in the case)

Next heat the inside bearing up not super hot to cause blueing ( if installing bearing heat the case) next remove crank from freezer and it should drop right in with minimal pressure or even none. Next be ready to get your sealent on the case. Heat the left side crank bearing and install may need a rubber mallet and it should drop right in.

This post deserves gas.

Update. Crank bearing installation into the cases was straight forward. As previously discussed here, bearings went into the freezer overnight and cases into the oven (15 min at 350). Bearings dropped right in.

Crank installation into right case was straightforward as well. Heated bearing inner race by placing a cylinder block of aluminum on it. Then, heated the block with torch and let it transfer heat to inner race. The crank dropped right in.

Attempted this same procedure on the left case but it didn't work. Fortunately, my crank puller worked on this side so I used this to pull the crank up into the left case main bearing very nicely.

Word of caution. Aluminum holds and conducts heat very well. After using the block to heat the first inner race and setting it aside, I inadvertently tried to pick it up. Man on man did it burn. And nothing would relieve the pain. Ice, aloe vera, swinging my hand around like a crazy man; nothing worked. Just time. This morning I have blisters on top of blisters. But the cases are assembled correctly.....lol.