Sign in to follow this  

cannondale/ATK???

saw a great deal on a 2003 Cannondale 450 and am curious about these bikes? Has anyone owned one, or can give me feedback about the quality of these bikes? I heard it was designed mainly for cross-country style riding, and I ride trails only, so not looking for a motocrosser anyway. I would love to hear from you guys.

if you want something you have to work on more than ride go for it...... other than that i dont have anything positive to say.... hold on that was not positive... i guess i have nothing good to say about it at all..... buy one of the big 4

why is everyone a hater of ATK? just curious for actual reasons, other than your "pride" of what you currently own.

Hardly pride, what many people here know is that these bikes had many problems, and while most can be fixed to keep them running, they were 5 year old technology when they came out, so they may equal a 1998 bike in suspension and geometry, and limited gas quanity onboard.

I looked at a 2003, super cheap, last year and got very excited, as the price and kool looking beast, then I talked with a few that owned them, and I sobered up.

The suspension while is Ohlins it is dated, and most all Big 5 stuff is worlds better......

They will always be Kool bikes, just not one I need in my garage..............

why is everyone a hater of ATK? just curious for actual reasons, other than your "pride" of what you currently own.

Not a hater, and I do like unique bikes, they were just never on par with the competition.....

I just picked this one up for $2K and just barely changed out the break in oil. I am really excited to put some miles on her and move my LQ to the back burner. I would not buy one without having the ATK upgrades preformed and I would recommend that you know and understand basic maintenance, trouble shooting, and have an understanding of how the EFI works--nobody will want to work on this bike for you. It takes a special breed to appreciate these bikes and they are not for everyone. I would also recommend riding one before you pull the trigger it took me only a couple minutes the first time I rode one to really fall for it I like the feel a lot 👍 This site is very helpful http://cannondaler.com/

DSC01229.jpg

one of my buddies owned cannondale quad for a couple years.....I I saw it run once for about 30 seconds. super fast when it ran. just about impossible to keep it running though. the motors simply rattle themselves apart.

Hardly pride, what many people here know is that these bikes had many problems, and while most can be fixed to keep them running, they were 5 year old technology when they came out, so they may equal a 1998 bike in suspension and geometry, and limited gas quanity onboard.

I looked at a 2003, super cheap, last year and got very excited, as the price and kool looking beast, then I talked with a few that owned them, and I sobered up.

The suspension while is Ohlins it is dated, and most all Big 5 stuff is worlds better......

They will always be Kool bikes, just not one I need in my garage..............

Old technology ? I guess EFI on a 2002 bike was old ? My E440 has a 2.6 Gallon gas tank under the seat (for a lower center a gravity). I love mine, I bought it because it was one of the only bikes that was light, liquid cooled, electric start and could be made street legal. If money were no object I would have a TE510 but this is a close second for a 1/3 rd the price. I have everyone checking out my bike when I pull up.

Old technology ? I guess EFI on a 2002 bike was old ? My E440 has a 2.6 Gallon gas tank under the seat (for a lower center a gravity). I love mine, I bought it because it was one of the only bikes that was light, liquid cooled, electric start and could be made street legal. If money were no object I would have a TE510 but this is a close second for a 1/3 rd the price. I have everyone checking out my bike when I pull up.

theres been efi on mx bikes in the mid 90's im pretty sure... dosent mean it was any good.

Do a search around, I've posted on my experiences on these bikes; I at one point owned three.

Comments about them being outdated when they came out are retarded:bonk:...yes EFI was done before, yes aluminum frames where done before, yes gas under seat was done before, yes reverse head design was done before....But none put it together first on a mass produced off road motorcycle. Only now are others doing this or combinations of this...

Cannondale made the mistake of sending these bikes out without having done enough Q&A and testing yes....but crap they were not.

You do have to be able to work on your own bike, because they don't fix this at the local shop, and you have to love to tinker on EFI. You do have to be different, not give a sh%t about running in packs, you do have to have a certain sense of pride that alot of that bike was made and assembled in the USA.

If you are a tinker type, that likes to solve problems, this is for you; fix it and do maintenance like any high performance four stroke. And your run hard, fast and have a smile on your face the whole time.

Check out Cannondaler.com

Ultimately you'll have the make the decision about a purchase like this by doing your due diligence.

^ Well said 👍 ^

To the op, you will find that people that don't actually own these bikes typically hate them and pick them apart based off of things they've heard, seen or read. You will also find that most (and not everyone) that do own them and have preformed all the reliability updates really enjoy them🤣

Not a hater, and I do like unique bikes, they were just never on par with the competition.....

or theyre over par with 700 cc two stroke monsters lol

When the first designs of this bike were released most in the dirtbike world got excited, Right??? Indeed!

Then the delays in final production from cannondale started many just held their breath, waiting for a very cool bike, right???

I kept the first article in Cycle World on this bike for years, the one with the Cannondale on the cover. Yet when it was finally released, issues quickly arose, really too bad, and yes it is true that it was underdeveloped, the R&D never really took the time to work out the bugs. 🙂

But come on guys we're talking about a bicycle company designing a motorcycle, and yes they still make killer bicycles (Ok maybe a little heavy, but strong) sh*t I love mine.

And at that time the Cannondale came out I owned a 1999 ATK605DS, and I soo drooled over the the new 450 as "the bike to have".

Yet after Cannondale wanted to dump this whole project being over budget and under funded, which made many sick, ATK did rescue the sinking ship, right?? They redesigned pistons/sleeves/cranks/bearings/case cracking problems etc. All things that should have been seen and dealt with prior to production bikes being released.

And ATK made the nessesary changes to make these bikes last longer, right?? The team at ATK are a first class act, :worthy:as they did use a common sense approach to rescue those motors from self-destructing in a weekends time.

Yet I will question the statement pertaining to this bike ever being mass-produced, if that means more than 200, and less than 350, well I guess you're right.👍

Bottom line in my opinion🤣(since we all have one) is they were a unique machine which had some great ideas on the drawing board, that were never completely realized.

Nice to see that these are still being made today in very small numbers (and no they will never be mass-produced) yet they are cool machine.

Really??? Before my 07 was stolen i spanked the local competition with only a few changes, fuel lines, air filter, and efi settings. Maybe i should go pro if i jump on a Jap bike:smirk:

Hey everyone,

This is going to sound stupid but here goes...

I am trying to get a friends Dale to start, I checked the on and off switches and they check good, battery is good, I rerouted the starter cable and it was not grounded thru the cable, all appears (to my untrained eye) to be good but it wont start. I hit the start button for one second, let off and wait 5 seconds, then hit it again.... nothing. Even on the first press of the start button I get nothing, no clicks, whirrs, or signs of life what-so-ever.

Any clues or hints of where to start? All my experience is XR650L so this whole EFI thing is killing me. I do understand electronics but dang I am taking a shellacking over here:banghead:

Thanks all,

Dave

Sounds like the relay, it's located under the seat in the rear part by the ECU. Try to manually actuate the relay and see if it will work, if it doesn't there is a problem.

Make sure the battery actually hold charge, and just doesn't show voltage. It should have ampacity and voltage should not dump when your trying to crank over.

If it's not clicking where the relay is, that's where I would start looking.