Sign in to follow this  

dual sport or plate an enduro?

This is my third thread i believe because i still have not found that perfect bike:cry:

A week ago i just realized that you dont have to be eighteen to get a motorcycle licence only sixteen. So i have decided that i am either going to buy a dual sport or plate a crf 250x or wr250f or something like that.

My question is is it worth it to buy an enduro and plate it( too much maintenence$$$) or should i just get the dual sport and deal with a little extra weight and lose some power.

I am 5'8 and 140lbs so i dont see my self riding a huge 650 anytime soon.

Some enduros i have looked at

WR250R

XT250/225

DRZ400-maybe too big

KLX250S

CRF230l

Some bikes ive considered plating

CRF250X

WR250F

XCF 250f

ECX400

Anything that bhas decent power w/ a headlight

I only plan on riding to the trails on the road(very little freeway use)

My overall question is would it be too expensive to plate and maintain a regular dirtbike, or should i just get the DS.

Thanks any answer apreciated

My vote goes to the DRZ400 but I would also like to know what will the bike be used for? Whats yours budget? Do you like maintaining bikes? How much offroad do you want to do? All these go into picking the right bike.

I would rather plate a more offroad capable bike than ride something offroad that wasn't a "real" offraod bike. This may require more work on your part; but your offroad riding would be more enjoyable....IMO.👍

I dual sported a 450X. You might want to call your states DMV or Secretary of State Police to check on the rules for getting a plate on an off road bike. If you really plan on using it for a dual purpose bike get something with a wide ratio trans and if possible 6 gears(KTM). I find myself looking for another gear on the highway. Now you need to decide just how much of a real offroad bike you want. DRZ is a heavy underpowered pig, but reliable and will require the least maintenance. You will want more out of a 230L in a couple months: under suspended and heavy for the amount of power it has. All the other bikes (CRF, WR, KTM's) will require more maintenance, but will be fabulous off road bikes. I don't ride mine as much on the road as I thought I would, I'm guessing almost everyone else is the same way.

sorry, i plan to ride powerlines, Dirt roads that are quite technical, and state trails with alot of single tracks. Maintenence wise, i wouldnt mind doing a little work every weekend to make sure the bike is all good. My budget is around 3-4 thousand im guessing.

In NH its relatively easily to get plated. My friend has his 250r plated w/out blinkers?