Sign in to follow this  

Governor assembly spring was ...

My old GOV spring on my 97 kx 125 is way shorter than the new one i just received? called dealer and double checked and is correct spring !

manual states nothing of these springs wearing out or measurement specs??

doing rebuild and i took right side cover off and found gov assembly had seperated🤣 lost end pin ....

no ball bearings inside ...

anyway i got new parts and noticed the new spring is almost twice the length of old one ....and seems very stiff!

anyone ever replaced this spring ? the old one is just so worn out and squished i guess? i can squeeze the old one and make it bottom out but the new one i can barely budge?

hard to believe the centrifical force from bearings can move this spring with enough force to move PV arm ?? i can see the it moving the old one cuz very easy to squeeze but the new one is tuff !

maybe the worn out/weak spring was why the bearings flew out in first place? the spring bottoming out and allowing too much space to allow bearings to escape?

any info on this spring would be great ...thanks 👍

All springs will fatigue over time. Your clutch springs, valve springs, pipe springs, even your suspension springs will eventually sack out and lose tension.

Does the new spring have the same number of coils as the old one? Does the wire appear to be the same diameter?

Did you confirm the part number on the bag and the microfiche? Sometimes people can grab the wrong part. Besides that, you never know what someone did prior to you owning the bike. So if the new part looks like the one on the repair manual then go with it.

All springs will fatigue over time. Your clutch springs, valve springs, pipe springs, even your suspension springs will eventually sack out and lose tension.

Does the new spring have the same number of coils as the old one? Does the wire appear to be the same diameter?

yes same number lengths and diameter ....its really only about 50% longer.... i installed it into assembly ....pretty tight but maybe supposed to be that way ....i could squeeze it with both hands to get the pin in end of shaft.... hopefully it works 👍

anyone replaced this GOV spring recently ? how much tension on spring when installed into assembly? i really had to squeeze hard to get the pin in! the bearings must have alot of force when spinning !! cant believe they can push that spring to move the PV lever ?

only thing different from old spring is length .... maybe its been in there since 97🤣 and its just totally dead!

wish manual would have specs on length of spring or something:bonk:

just says replace if worn 👍 ...how to tell this?

oh well going with it ...its correct part #, diameter, same # springs

any info if anyones replaced this would be great ....thanks:thumbsup: