Sign in to follow this  

Another potentially dumb question

I have found this forum very helpful and got my suspension dialed in. I recently, after about 8 hours of ride time changed my fork fluid again. I noticed that I had 24 clicks in my compression and rebound adjusters. It seems more than what I had before. My manual says that there are 16 positions or more. What I am concerned about is has my bike always had 24 settings, or have I done something to increase it to 24 from the original 16. Also, assuming that I prefer my settings at 6 out from full hard with 16 settings, do I need to go to 9 out from full hard with 24 settings to maintain a similar ratio?

Like I said, I loved my suspension set up, but I am wondering how to get my suspension back the way it was. Thanks again for your help.

I recently, after about 8 hours of ride time changed my fork fluid again. I noticed that I had 24 clicks in my compression and rebound adjusters. It seems more than what I had before.

what bike do you have?

if you have KYB forks, check out if your rebound clicker unit sits on the rod without a gap. if not, you will have more clicks.

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680904&highlight=

just an idea...

I have seen in a few places online that the forks on the 2008 CRF450 have 16-18 clicks on the rebound and compression adjuster. It also seems like I verified that when I changed the fork oil the first time...but again I am not sure.

They are showa forks, not KYB.

I have seen in a few places online that the forks on the 2008 CRF450 have 16-18 clicks on the rebound and compression adjuster. It also seems like I verified that when I changed the fork oil the first time...but again I am not sure.

They are showa forks, not KYB.

it may also be the case that there is 16 settings from fully in but the adjuster will keep klicking without making any more difference. if you have the exact right literature follow it ,then use the settings you like.

I'm not certain in the case of a CRF, but there is a mistake one can make in reassembling the rebound adjuster assembly onto a KYB fork such as the late YZ450 or the '09 CRF that could have resulted in one clicker suddenly widening its range from 16 to 24. But if this mistake was made, it's unlikely that both rebound adjusters would match, never mind all 4 of them.

I would assume that the statement "16 or more" is one of those one size fits all, blanket statements that are often cut and pasted from one manual to another year after year, sometimes even when they are no longer accurate, and that nothing has really changed on your bike at all. You might want to carefully review the procedure to see if there is a step or a detail that you might have overlooked.

But, if your suspension works at 6 clicks out, for example, that means that you've backed the bleed needle up 1 1/2 turns from its fully seated position. That would be the same size bleed opening regardless of how much farther you could back it out if you wanted to. It's the absolute size of the bleed opening created by the adjustment that matters, not the percentage of the maximum possible.

The likelihood is that when you changed your fluid, you did not take the base valve or compression adjusters apart at all, but just removed them from the cartridges, so I see little chance you could have changed their behavior. If you are confident that you handled the rest of the operation correctly, I think this is just something you didn't notice to start with.