Go Pro HD (question)

Question for you guys that are familiar with the GO PRO HD or own one. I was wondering:

How good is the quality in 1080p on the Go Pro HD when put straight from the camera to the TV or to the computer? I know that public video websites (youtube, break, liveleak) hurt the quality of uploads and sometimes the 1080 Go Pro videos still look like crap. BUT, I noticed on the Go Pro website that the video samples seem to clear...

Are your videos as clear as the videos on the Go Pro website?

The videos that are on GoPro's website look really good because they are streaming better quality video. Youtube cannot stream at that quality to everybody because there is not enough bandwidth to do that.

That being said the quality of the video that this little camera takes is nothing short of AMAZING. When I play the 1080p videos on my laptop I need to make the window smaller to see the whole thing. The videos are crystal clear and the sound is great too. Lately I have been using the 720p 60fps setting so that I can make some cool slow mo sections in my videos. My only beef with this camera is it does not do very well in lower light situations. However this is not that big of a deal.

Here is the first video i posted. I messed around with the render settings for a long time on this video until i was able to get this level of quality on youtube.

it depends where you upload it.

the videos on go pro's website use vimeo.com

vimeo allows full HD quality videos, so thats why they look great.

youtube compresses the video quality...but its free....

i love my GP. i was really thrown off by the shape and size of it at first, until i owned one and saw the build quality, picture/sound quality, and had it mounted under my visor out of harm's way. i've had a helmet camera since 2006, but the first instant i starting viewing my first video footage on my computer (from the GP), i was floored.

Here is a short clip from a local trail ride, it's shot in 720p. (1:30 long, 100mb size)

It should give you a good idea of what the actual video looks like. 1080p has 2x the detail, but also more rolling shutter artifacts (just like the Contour 1080p camera). I try to use the 720p30 or 720p60 modes for best results when shooting fast motion rides.

download link: http://www.4shared.com/video/RDJC5ill/720p_test_clip_with_pip.html

• 3 months later...

costco sells the non hd for sure. they may sell the hd as well. other than that any rec store or camera store. maybe try bestbuy as well. good deals on amazon as well. you can see who is selling them and call/buy that way.

btw i use 720 also and its amazing. i am sure that 1080 is just that much better.

1080P is very clear. Yes, my videos are easily as clear as the videos on Go Pro's site...Just make sure you have a computer that can handle the files.

I have some GoPro clips (1080p) throughout this short video: