Pipe Help 2003 CRF230F

Hey guys just wondering what pipes will fit on a 2003 crf230f more specificaly will a fmf powercore 4 fit this bike? Im looking for a cheap to upgrade. I would be happy with a slipon. Thanks.

welcome to TT.

Can't really give you good pipe advice but for the price of a pipe you could get cam and piston and see a 4-5 hp increase, and a lot more snap. Pipe you'll save weight but little performance gain as the cam is really holding the bike back.

A slip-on most likely wouldn't gain you any power, just add looks and noise.

A header, or full system, might gain you a little on top end, but wont be a huge gain in power, and probably wont do much for low end.

What I'd do first is the "power up mod", remove the air box snorkel under the seat, remove the center exhaust tip but leave the spark arrestor in. Then go up 1 size on the pilot jet, and 2-3 sizes on the main jet.

If you want an exhaust, I wouldn't waste time on a slip-on only for this bike.. Either header only, or full system IMO! Someone else with a 230 can comment on that tho.. 👍

The best exhaust system for this bike is built by Frank at Engines Only. Frank claims it will get you 2 HP and save you 2 pounds. The BBR system is very popular but only gets you around 1/2 HP. Mike Coe did dyno tests with the BBR system here: https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214074.

Toneconsultant also did a comparison here: http://toneconsultant.tripod.com/id9.html - Scroll down about half way.

The stock system is pretty good for a stock engine. It is far superior to the old XR systems and never requires repacking. It is even fairly good looking and you can quickly add or remove the baffle depending on your riding area.

My buddy had an FMF pipe on his late-model XR250 and hated it. It got rusty, cracked at a weld, and required repacking. He now uses a stock pipe and is much happier.

I believe your money would be better spent on something that will net you more than 0-2 HP.

Remove the baffles and install jetting per Mike Coe's dyno work and you'll be very satisfied. In fact, you'll probably forget all about that exhuast system and start focusing on the weak suspension.

I had every intention to buy Frank's system but it's of no value with the suspension problems I'm now encountering on faster laps due to the new jetting. The forks are worthless and the rear shock has too much low-speed damping and not enough high-speed damping. Even though my 230 is setup with proper 25%/33% race sag, it is borderline dangerous with the added power and weak suspension.

Edited by VortecCPI

I went with a Two Brothers exhaust on my 150 and it has been great. The stainless is great and the sound is perfect. It weighs next to nothing (when I got mine the box was so light I thought it was empty). It is definitely snappier on the low end now.