Sign in to follow this  

Hard time judging jumps

Tonight was my second time to ever ride a mx track. I`m having a hard time judging jumps. Every time I hit one I case it, over shoot it, or under shoot it:banghead:. What is an easy way to judge them.

Tonight was my second time to ever ride a mx track. I`m having a hard time judging jumps. Every time I hit one I case it, over shoot it, or under shoot it:banghead:. What is an easy way to judge them.

You'll get it over time. I'm on my 4th ride at a track, and I can get the jumps right just about every time. Don't try anything too big, because you do learn from your own mistakes. Over jump, then give her less next time. And the other way around. After a few of those, you should be covered.

it comes with seat time. Following some who is consistently clearing the jump cleanly and matching there speed works well and is safer then just going out and hucking it if you don't know how fast to go. There is also a lot more to jumping then just approach speed. Ride as many different tracks and terrains as possible and work at being a well rounded rider and the jumping skills will come.

there is no answer apart from practise

when i bmx race on there jumps, i seem to be able to get all the jumps perfect distance, while my brother cant jump for shit.

work on getting one jump right, once you got that, go on to the next one, and so on

it comes with seat time. Following some who is consistently clearing the jump cleanly and matching there speed works well and is safer then just going out and hucking it if you don't know how fast to go. There is also a lot more to jumping then just approach speed. Ride as many different tracks and terrains as possible and work at being a well rounded rider and the jumping skills will come.

Your avatar gives me tons of faith!!! -BIG DAN:thumbsup:

Exactly right, eventually you'll get to a point where you can look at a jump, see the angle, the run up to it, the distance, and be able to judge your speed etc.. pretty easily. Until then, watch other guys, see how they're hitting it, sometimes pacing somebody is a good way to get you in the ball park also.

I`m going to another track tomarrow. My step dad and friend are going and my stepdad used to race and he told me to stick with him and I would clear them. I`m nervous as hell but I guess thats part of it

If you're really new at it then only do jumps you're comfortable doing... Following more experience people helps you get the speed right but there are a ton more things going on that you'll never learn by just following... Strart really small and work your way up slowly...

Breaking your femurs will set you back even more!

I feel your pain bro, I'm in the same boat, so far, two races, and have been coming off the track feeling like jello from all the hard hits I'm taking. The best advice I've heard so far is throttle management, you've got to be really smooth on the gas to avoid sudden acceleration / deceleration off the face, that has gotten me in trouble a couple of times, looping out or almost going over the bars. I still don't have any of this dialed, but I'm having a lot of fun. Funny, when I was a kid riding an MR50, I would jump everything known to man as hard as I could, after being away form it for 25 years or so, I'm not nearly as daring, go figure! Good, luck, be safe, like has been said, I'd rather finish them all than win some of them!

Kev

THe only cure is seat time. It will come, if you want it to