Sign in to follow this  

Oil filter cover studs Replaced with bolts?

Striped one of my Oil filter cover studs tonight..👍

Diggin through a few threads I read people putting Allen bolts, Or something similar in place of the stud,

Looks like its striped mostly at the end,

is this not recommend ?

Is there another way to fix this? Do I need to use a helicoil or whatever those are called.. never used um, But seen them at the store

Thanks

-Patch

I cut a slot into the end of the stud and screwed it out - on my exhaust manifold where the header bolts up.

Can't see Allen bolts causing any issue.

You can use a bolt in place of the stud. Just keep in mind that the next time it will likely be the case that strips and not the bolt. Safer to order the right parts. Use the bolt as a temporary fix until you get 'em.

I fear the last few threads inside the case might be striped as well..

What would I have to do then ?

ill further inspect the stud when the sun comes up

Thanks for the replys

I fear the last few threads inside the case might be striped as well..

What would I have to do then ?

Heli-coil or some such. He's (she?) referring to the threads machined into the case, not the threads on the stud below the surface of the case. (Or am I just confusing myself here?)

Either way: Let's take moment to discuss the original stripping--anything sealed with a rubber(y) o-ring really doesn't need much torque to make a good seal. If you're worrying about the nut vibrating loose, then use a wee bit of Loc-tite.

If it was just a case of cross-threading, here's my tip: when you're first starting the thread, go backwards. Rotate the nut or spark-plug or whatever backwards until you feel it "pop" down into the threads. Then start turning forward.

Works great on compressed gas cylinder caps, too. 👍

Heli-coil or some such. He's (she?) referring to the threads machined into the case, not the threads on the stud below the surface of the case. (Or am I just confusing myself here?)

Either way: Let's take moment to discuss the original stripping--anything sealed with a rubber(y) o-ring really doesn't need much torque to make a good seal. If you're worrying about the nut vibrating loose, then use a wee bit of Loc-tite.

👍

Thanks for the tips and info, Im afraid its too late to tell how I striped it, but will do every thing I can in the future to not strip O-ring mating surfaces

It also sees as if the filter cover is so worn that the stud got over tightend (by me) and went further in then it was supposed to..

I dont know if I can just buy a new cover and stud, And call it good? It does seem like the final few threads are striped INSIDE the case:banghead:

will try to get the Nikon out later..

Ok guys, I Tried getting some really good pics and couldn't get the inside of the threads for the life of me, Heres a picture of the cover and you can see what I mean about the stud/nut wearing it down

oilfiltercover.jpg

What do you guys think I should do? Just order a new cover and stud and hope it screws in tight?

or what do I need to do if the Case threads are striped? 👍

Thanks again for the info, Thumpertalk never fails to give me the information or parts I need

Aloha

-Patch

get a new cover and a stud, use a thread chaser in the case and loctite the new stud in.. im sure it'll be fine

get a new cover and a stud, use a thread chaser in the case and loctite the new stud in.. im sure it'll be fine

+1 .. That plan will work, though I'd take the extra step and just install three Heli Coils. I install threaded inserts in most any assembly that is aluminum and see repeated disassembly and assembly.

well I placed the order for the studs and cover, Also got a crush washer for the crackcase plug!

Sadly I didn't order three and too beat to redo it now, but I will indeed replace them all at some point thank you for the tip..

any special way to install helicoils or those kine thread inserts? Never done it before, and I want to make sure I do it right..

well I placed the order for the studs and cover, Also got a crush washer for the crackcase plug!

Sadly I didn't order three and too beat to redo it now, but I will indeed replace them all at some point thank you for the tip..

any special way to install helicoils or those kine thread inserts? Never done it before, and I want to make sure I do it right..

The only tip I have to offer is I, personally, when drilling or re-tapping holes in this soft aluminum I use a hand-drill so I cant be extra-delicate. Good thing the old man has a garage of antique wood tools 👍