Sign in to follow this  

Amount of Oil

I am new to the KLX450 world. I traded up from the KLX300. I do have a question about changing the oil. The book recommends a 1.08 L with a filter change. I also have the mega manual for the bike. I put in approximately 1.08 L, but I had to put in more to reach the top of the glass level. The books recommend filling it until you reach the top of the glass level. Do you find that you have to put in more oil until you reach the top of the level as the book recommends? I am just wondering how much oil the bike actually takes to have it properly filled. Thanks.

Slowturtle

This is par for the course. I was dumbfounded over how much extra oil I had to add when I did my first oil change. I think the problem is that there are a lot of nooks and crannies inside the case. I did notice, however, that once the oil level hits the bottom of the glass it takes very little to top it off. It also helps to keep leaning the bike over (toward the glass side) during the filling process...then you will see when you're getting close.

Same here! I must have added at least an extra 4-6 ounces to reach the top of the window. Can't explain where Kawi got the 1.08 qts:bonk:

I was under the impression that the oil level was supposed to be half way up the glass.?

Me too.

I was under the impression that the oil level was supposed to be half way up the glass.?

I have the factory manual and the lame manual that came with the bike and I know one of them says to fill to the top of the window while the bike is completely vertical but do not fill past top of window. I seem to recall a "full" mark on the window?? I'll check them tonight for actual wording and let you know.

Run mine right to the top.

the only time you have too much oil or fuel is when yer on FIRE!!!

I put in 1 litre and then run it and let it sit 5 minutes, then top it off to half way on the glass. it is only about 2-3 ounces between half way and full. I have overfilled it more than once. There is a big difference between 1.08 litres and 1.08 quarts! I go with half to 3/4 full on the glass.

I add the recommended amount, run it through all the gears, then top of to exactly 1/2 on the glass. I have a graduation mark at 1/2 way and I like it. If its over, Im draining.

Thanks for the info. I probably added a little over 1100 cc's to get it to the top of the glass. I would let it run, stop, sit, and fill small amounts numerous times until I finally reached the top of the glass. Thanks. I also stripped out some of the threads to the top hole on the oil filter cover. I was not happy. I got a hold of a 80mm bolt and it tightened up just right. I was pretty much losing my mind with the stripped bolt hole and the inaccurate manual. I need to get out and ride, so I don't lose it any further.

My manual states anywhere between the bottom and the top of the sight glass. I run a bubble at the top.

So everyone is correct.