Sign in to follow this  

1988 NX650 Oil Filter Cover Broken!!!!

My son and I were changing the oil and oil filter on our 1988 NX650. After we removed the three bolts from the oil filter cover, it fell to the concrete....and in that 12" fall, one of the bolts holes broke off. Now I need a new one.

cover-oil-filter_thumb11333MN1870-0.jpg

Through three different part houses, I have confirmed that Honda has discontinued this part. The thing about the NX engine is that some of the covers have a gold anodized finish. I suspect that the part that is discontinued is the one with the gold color.

Has this oil filter cover changed at all over the years? Will a modern day (maybe 2000-2010 year model) oil filter cover fit on my 1988 NX?

Of course, any of the parts houses tell me that if they order the part and if it doesn't fit....then I have to pay a 20% restocking fee in order to return it. I want to avoid that if at all possible and the bottom line is.....I simply need to find a cover that will work.

What do the Thumper Talk.....Honda 650 experts say????????

By the way, I have a second question for the NX experts.....

I understand that the NX650 was sprung for a 150 lb rider. When my 250lbs crawl on the bike, the rear end sinks several inches.

If I were to visit a motorcycle salvage yard and look for a replacement spring, what would fit and give me stronger rear suspension? Can I simply replace a spring or do I need to replace the whole shock? Would an XR650 spring fit the NX shock?

Thanks,

I'm 99.99% sure the XRL has the same cover. You might want to go look at an XR and compare the part to be sure. It just won't match the color.

As for the shock spring, I dunno. The NX had a different frame from the XR, and a 17" rear wheel, so probably not the same shock length.

If you check out the NX thread on ADVRider, you might be able to get some info.

I know that all RFVC 500s, 600s, and 650s use the same filter cover. Late '80s XR600s have the dirty gold-colored ones.

HT's right about the filter cover, many models to choose from.

The spring's a different story. The NX spring is much shorter than most large XR's. The XR200R shock will fit in the NX, but the remote reservoir will interfere with the airbox. And the 200's spring is softer than the NX.

I modified my spring according to this site:

http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/ridenet.tech/Coil-Spring-Tuning-Secrets/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/332656?contextCategoryId=27136

I'm currently running 5.0 active coils, but I think I should be closer to 4.8 for my size (200#) and riding style. 4.5 coils may be more appropriate for a 250# aggressive rider.