Oops, took out one link to many...

Bought my first new chain and sprockets after 5000km (8 teeth wore/broke off the rear sprocket commuting to school). But when i was adjusting the chain i didn't give enough clearance with respect to the bottom chain guide. So now i have a brand new chain thats a link short 👍

Talked to the local dealer which said you can extend the chain with a "step link" but they're not recommended being the "weakest link" in the chain.

So my question is how reliable are step links? I have a 2005 450EXC

Thanks for the help!!

I've used two links with no problem - did it so I could lengthen and shorten the chain by a few links to enable switching of rear sprocket.

What you could do, though, is experiment with a change of gearing. Get a rear sprocket with a couple of teeth less so you can use the chain as it is, and at the same time you may find you end up with gearing that is more suitable for your commute to school. Also, you could get another chain, and then switch back sprockets when you go trail riding.

Ah hah! I still have the master link from the last chain! Would that work? Or is it worth getting a new one? That falls right into my student budget.. Shear Wizardry guys THANKS!

Edited by Yukon_Rider

Ah hah! I still have the master link from the last chain! Would that work? Or is it worth getting a new one? That falls right into my student budget.. Shear Wizardry guys THANKS!

Get a new one - only a couple of quid, and better to be safe. And as RUSVD said....check which way round your axle blocks are.👍

Have you looked at your rear axle blocks. You can turn them around. That could help.

And I have ran 2 master links before.

Yeah i thought that would work but now I'm up against the bottom chain guard. Looks like 2 master links is going to be the solution.