New ring feels gritty when...

i just got my cylinder honed and checking new ring gap...i lubed the ring and cylinder wall with premix but when pushing the new ring into cylinder it feels kinda scratchy/gritty? its not really scratching it but feels kinda gritty when pushing new ring down to measure gap...feels like fine sand paper... maybe its supposed to feel that way after new hone job? when i measured the old ring gap the cylinder was very glazed before hone, old ring it felt very smooth....obviously from the glazed over cylinder walls i guess?

just wondering if this gritty feel is normal for first time fit? new ring is same size as old one .... the old end gap was over limit and the new one after hone is within limits ....just wondering about the feeling of the ring on freshly honed cylinder walls?

first top end and dont know how new rings should feel ....

any info would be great ...thanks ๐Ÿ‘

little sandpapery feeling is ok. You actually have crosshatch now! You need to make sure you wash the cylinder out VERY well if it's just been re-plated though. Wash it until you think it's got to be spotless, and then wash it again.

You really need to clean that cylinder before assembly. I recommend dunking the entire cylinder in hot soapy water. Wash as much of the grit away as you can. Blow the entire thing dry.

Once it's washed and dried get some clean rags or paper towels and some clean ATF. Wipe the cylinder bore with ATF repeatedly until the rag no longer shows dirt.

Alot of guys don't realize a fresh bored and honed cylinder needs alot of cleaning. All of that grit you just washed off would have been in your fresh rebuilt engine.

i just got my cylinder honed and checking new ring gap...i lubed the ring and cylinder wall with premix but when pushing the new ring into cylinder it feels kinda scratchy/gritty? its not really scratching it but feels kinda gritty when pushing new ring down to measure gap...feels like fine sand paper... maybe its supposed to feel that way after new hone job? when i measured the old ring gap the cylinder was very glazed before hone, old ring it felt very smooth....obviously from the glazed over cylinder walls i guess?

just wondering if this gritty feel is normal for first time fit? new ring is same size as old one .... the old end gap was over limit and the new one after hone is within limits ....just wondering about the feeling of the ring on freshly honed cylinder walls?

first top end and dont know how new rings should feel ....

any info would be great ...thanks ๐Ÿ‘

just had it honed? i hope its sleeved or youll be right back in there in no time.

just had it honed? i hope its sleeved or youll be right back in there in no time.

dealer said hone would help but needs to be replated soon ...he said alot of plating is worn away ....

cylinder is very clean ....no dirt on white rag ...a little gritty feel is ok?

doesn't feel gritty to the touch .... just when installing ring to check end gap ....when pushing ring down into cylinder if feels gritty ....just feeling crosshatching now? had none before ...was very glazed over ....

You really need to clean that cylinder before assembly. I recommend dunking the entire cylinder in hot soapy water. Wash as much of the grit away as you can. Blow the entire thing dry.

Once it's washed and dried get some clean rags or paper towels and some clean ATF. Wipe the cylinder bore with ATF repeatedly until the rag no longer shows dirt.

Alot of guys don't realize a fresh bored and honed cylinder needs alot of cleaning. All of that grit you just washed off would have been in your fresh rebuilt engine.

doesn't feel gritty to the touch ...just when pushing ring down into cylinder to check ring gap ....did white rag test and its very clean !

its all good ....finally talked to dealer and said supposed to feel a little gritty with new honed cylinder until ring seats itself/ wears into cylinder ....

thanks to all ....๐Ÿ‘

final gaskets getting here tomorrow ... cant wait to rip:banana: after riding with no functioning powervalves:bonk:

will be up late assembling๐Ÿคฃ

Brraaap ! ๐Ÿ™‚

some plating is worn away in some spots? did he use a diamond hone? (not that it matters at this point)

we have tried multiple times to stear you in the right direction and you still choose to do what you want. im going to keep my mouth shut when you come in here in a month with a cylinder that will require welding because its so screwed. not trying to be negative, but you are doing some very stupid things with the internals of a motor. but its not my money.

Oh yeah, I overlooked that bit. Notice in my first post "if you just had it re-plated it needs to be washed out". I didn't realize this was honed. Uh, yeah. Good luck! I'm now thinking you need a new dealer!

some plating is worn away in some spots? did he use a diamond hone? (not that it matters at this point)

we have tried multiple times to stear you in the right direction and you still choose to do what you want. im going to keep my mouth shut when you come in here in a month with a cylinder that will require welding because its so screwed. not trying to be negative, but you are doing some very stupid things with the internals of a motor. but its not my money.

steer me in what direction? nobody has told me anything or what to do or not ...."not that it matters at this point" why? what am i doing thats stupid ? asking questions? nobody has explained to me what to do...why not hone it?

i took it too dealer to get a professional opinion ... a mechanic looked at it and said they could hone it .... he said the plating was not worn away in spots but was starting to get thin .... why would they do something to ruin it? i dont really understand what is so stupid about having a professional look at it?

maybe someone should explain the situation first before saying im "being stupid with the internals of the motor "....

whats the stupid mistake? getting it honed? and if so why?

nobody has told me yet ๐Ÿ‘

so a plated cylinder can never be honed to de-glaze and bring back crosshatching? or since the existing plating is thining it wont last long after honing? please explain

steer me in what direction? nobody has told me anything or what to do or not ...."not that it matters at this point" why? what am i doing thats stupid ? asking questions? nobody has explained to me what to do...why not hone it?

REALLY?????????????????NOBODY HAS HELPED YOU OR STEERED YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION??? you have a real short memory, i remeber explaining in detail how to get to the shift mechanism and check it out, i even remeber posting a dam picture of it for you. you have 20 different ***in threads asking the same question in a differnt way, you keep second, and third guessing everyone with knowledge in this forum. you keep trying to take shortcuts despite us telling you that its not a good idea, let alone a horrible idea that just wont work.

i took it too dealer to get a professional opinion ... a mechanic looked at it and said they could hone it .... he said the plating was not worn away in spots but was starting to get thin .... why would they do something to ruin it? i dont really understand what is so stupid about having a professional look at it?

they are not proffesionals. sure they "can" hone it, if they were true profesionals they would have told you to get it replated. if the crosshatching is gone, then the plating is thin, its done

maybe someone should explain the situation first before saying im "being stupid with the internals of the motor "....

whats the stupid mistake? getting it honed? and if so why?

nobody has told me yet ๐Ÿ‘

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=887157&highlight=

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=888595&highlight=

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892572&highlight=

so a plated cylinder can never be honed to de-glaze and bring back crosshatching? or since the existing plating is thining it wont last long after honing? please explain

once honed when new, it should never be honed again

yes, its because its thin and wont last long if at all

no one here is obligated to help you, we take our personal time to help others out. if you dont get the idea the first 10 times, then you are SOL. i have tried and im done, your wasting my time with this repetative BS.

and after all that ...you finally answer my question .... since there are no crosshatching marks then the plating is gone ...but nobody ever said that until now ....thats all i was looking for ....

no need for the attitude bud ๐Ÿ‘

i never said you didn't help me in previous threads ...chill out

and after all that ...you finally answer my question .... since there are no crosshatching marks then the plating is gone ...but nobody ever said that until now ....thats all i was looking for ....

no need for the attitude bud ๐Ÿ‘

i never said you didn't help me in previous threads ...chill out

no attitude, just shouldnt have to bend over backwards to help you out

and i disagree about your second point

"nobody has told me anything or what to do or not "

nobdy means everybody, including me

sorry if im coming off harsh.

so many people who want us to fix there bikes over the internet, and then they go do what they want anyway

once honed when new, it should never be honed again

yes, its because its thin and wont last long if at all

no one here is obligated to help you, we take our personal time to help others out. if you dont get the idea the first 10 times, then you are SOL. i have tried and im done, your wasting my time with this repetative BS.

have i made you waste your time ...your choice man ....you choose what threads to respond to right? im just like everyone else on here ....looking for help .... not wasting anyones time .... thats your opinion ....

check out my previous threads man ...always respectful , no attitude and never wasting anyones time ....

you must of had a bad day bud .....cheer up:thumbsup:

no attitude, just shouldnt have to bend over backwards to help you out

and i disagree about your second point

"nobody has told me anything or what to do or not "

nobdy means everybody, including me

sorry if im coming off harsh.

so many people who want us to fix there bikes over the internet, and then they go do what they want anyway

man never asked you too .... whats with you today ? all other help has been great .....yes i did get responses which i appreciate but then when i do something that dealer doesn't say is bad idea .... i come on here and everyone thinks im being an๐Ÿคฃ cuz i had it honed ๐Ÿ‘

A lot of dealers are mostly retarded, and just after whatever money they can weasel out of your wallet. If you check your service manual it will plainly state "nickasil plated cylinders can not be honed"

If cleaning/deglazing the cylinder doesn't bring the crosshatch back out, it's time for a re-plate. I imagine you'll get by running it for a season though. I've run cylinders that I'd be embarrassed to admit I ran, and gotten some good fun out of them. Just keep an eye on the compression, and plan on a re-plate at the end of the season. If the cylinder has to have a bit of welding done to bring the thickness of the aluminum back at that time, don't be shocked.

Honing to deglaze can be ok, but that's not really "honing". It's running a cylinder brush through the cylinder to break off oil glaze and aluminum deposits from the piston. A ball hone can be used lightly to deglaze a cylinder too, but it's risky business and not advisable.