If I remove the CDI will the bike still run?

Your motorcycle most certainly will not run if the CDI is removed.

Why is theft such a problem in the UK? There are thieves everyplace but UK seems tike the worst place on earth for M/C. Maybe I'm a fool buy I sure as heck don't chain my motorcycle to a steel post parked in my own garage like you guys do. Is stealing motorcycles a national past time or something?

Mine only goes in my garage. The couple times I went on some dual sport tours in Arkansas...I used heavy chain an weaved it through the bike and chained it to my truck. At least if they were going to steal it...they were going to have to work for it.

Why is theft such a problem in the UK? There are thieves everyplace but UK seems tike the worst place on earth for M/C. Maybe I'm a fool buy I sure as heck don't chain my motorcycle to a steel post parked in my own garage like you guys do. Is stealing motorcycles a national past time or something?

If you own a motorbike, any motorbike, you are viewed & treated as scum. You are looked upon as an anti social outcast, that terrorises (sp ? ) normal every day folk.

If you steal motorbikes, you are viewed as a cheeky young scamp, along the lines of the artful dodger, & stealing is seen as a cry for help.

The police have much more important things to do than chase & catch motorbike theives. If they spent all day catching criminals, who would come up to my house & tell me that my car is jutting out from my drive & causing an obstruction on the pavement, which pedestrians have to risk their lives to negotiate their way around. I did point out that the 4 kids playing football on the road ( complete with goal posts ) shows the volume of traffic in the road, but they said " move it or we'll nick you "

Back in the day, I had an IT 250 stolen, I recovered it myself, as its common knowledge the area they are found in. By dumb luck I even caught the scrotes who stole it. Handed thenm in to the police & went to court.

They were ordered to pay for the damage, at 75p each per week. Everytime they failed to pay, I had to take a day off work, go back to court for them to be re-assessed. After 3 goes I gave up.

There is simple no deterent for theives, especially if they have nothing anyway, they have nothing to lose.

Bitter? Moi? That will be the Murphy's! lol

Noble it depends where you live, just like Americey! I remember a post not so long ago about a guy guarding his DRZ with a semi automatic weapon! That dont happen over here, well not that I know of!

Dan

Are the English thieves really dumb enough to try and start the bike instead of just picking it up and throwing it in a truck/van?

Dirt bikes are mostly nicked by kids. Plus most of the people nicking bikes in the citys don't have access to vans etc these are just gangs of teenagers. They just need to ride it home to strip and flog on Ebay.

Thanks for the replies, I have my CDI in my house and the bike in the garden...

I have had two attempt thefts of my DRZ in a week. I have gone to town on lighting, security and my attention to who is walking past when I have the bikes out.

I caught the little feckers trying to crop the locks off my gate, it was 1am on a weekday and I ran outside in my underwear, tooled up screaming "COME ON THEN YOU CNUTS"

Boy did they run leaving 3 foot bolt croppers behind! The cops caught one but there is a continuity gap between me chasing him and the cops catching him.

Common sense says that the teenage scumbag with a string of vehicle offences out at 1am midweek, out of breath after a recent nearby attempt motorcycle theft makes him guilty but if there is "reasonable doubt" that it wasn't him he will get off with it.

He is a lucky sod that I stopped chasing him at the boundary of my my garden as I had left the front door open, had no phone, was hardly dressed and wielding a 21" long "tool"

The sad thing is, if he wanted to come to a trail with me and have a go and learn respect for people's property I feel it may educate him or am I being naïve?

your 'tool' sounds like its on its way to being a sword lol. I'd say naive he'd use you 4 ya bike then turn round n tell his scum mates your a mug. had my last bike stolen boils my blood the low life scum ****** *****. good luck hope you can keep bike safe i feel 4 ya