Sign in to follow this  

2001 cr125 free mods or cheap mods

i have a 2001 cr125 and i ride mostly woods so the whole not haveing any low end thing kinda drags a little bit. i can usually keep up but i was wondering if there was any good mods for my bike i can do to give it a little more end and possibly more power all around. right now the bike is stock except for an fmf fattyu gold series pipe with a powercore 2 silencer and i have a Barnett cluth in it... Thanks any input is greatly appreciated 👍

I would think about a fly wheel weight. That will make the power curve a little more linear and help reduce tire spin. Also work with your gearing a little bit as well. If you go up a tooth or two on the rear, you will be able to stay in the powerband more without getting too much top speed. Of course your gearing will depend on how tight of trails you are riding in the woods.

You will probably get many good tips on here from people more in the know. I have a 01 CR125 though and have the same complaint. Here's a link to a great article by Derek Harris who did some decent testing on this exact bike and you can see what their results were: http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/05/budget-racer-2001-honda-cr125/

Also, the stock pipe has more low-end supposedly, but I still went with the Pro Circuit as its got more power. I think in the end, I am just going to move to a 134cc bore and use that.

How do you like the bike otherwise?

unfortunately, your bike is what it is, a 125 was never meant to be lugged around in the trees. Along those same lines, nothing is free and cheap will never get you what you want. I would suggest the flywheel weight which will help you to not kill the engine as easy when in the low RPM's. If you really want to keep the light weight of a 125 and yet get more low end for trail riding, the only way you will accomplish this is with a big bore kit. I would suggest going as big as possible. Add a radiator overflow to help with the extra heat the bb kit is going to cause. If you have Eric Gorr do the BB kit, he will port it for you as well as part of the package, you might put a low/mid range port job on it from him which will add more low end. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Here's a way to increase your compression for the cost of some 100 grit sand paper...

I stick and old spark plug in the head and bend the tip up so that it is within feeler gauge distance from the head surface. If it is not long enough use your imagination here. You'll also need a good flat surface like a thick plate of glass. I use a little solvent on the sand paper. Now get a good reading say .020" and begin lapping the head checking every 5-10 minutes. It takes some effort to do this probably 1/2 hour to 45 minutes but you can lap 10 -12 thousanths off. I've done this to a number of two strokes and it has worked great. Just make sure you have a flat surface...

cometic makes a performance gasket set that uses a very thin base.

Low end, try these: http://www.mxbonz.com/powrplate.htm

I just put one in my 02 but have not ridden it yet.

Also FMF use to make some Torque reeds, they do help bottom end a lot. Top end will suffer with them.

Adding the 05 airboot will help more on top end, but a cheap upgrade at $30.

Edited by JJRace

Some old info I found that I had from 2002 on modding the bike

2000 - 2002 Update: Stock: Suffers from lack of bottom & top.

Fixes: Best reed block assembly 2000 moto tassinari delta V 2. 2001 model suffers from reduced intake including the 2002. 1HP Gain.

Experienced Mod: Drilling to fit 2000 YZ 125 reeds and intake - cage not needed OEM works. 1HP Gain with a nice hit in the mid. Edit I believe this mod also required the 2000 YZ 125 needle jet also.

Piston: Stock too much clearance replace with aftermarket asap. Damange to bore could happen if oem top ends are not properly maintained. If you run a husqvarna vertex piston bottom end incases, less clearance crank case pressure increase. Must run race gas or install two head gaskets or head mods done. Bike will ping if not done.

Silencer mods: Run a shorty silencer with this mod. It is the best silencer for this bike.

38 MM Carb: Gain 1 HP on top end bottom and mid improve alittle overall 1HP gain. Stock air boot works.

Case fix: 2000 model only fixed in '01

Cases need to be machined to fix case casting flaws. Causing blockage in the reed block to intake ports.

thanks for the info guys....i ride a lot of different trails going from wide open flat track to some tight trails and occasionally i hop on a track...i was thinking about getting a big bore kit on it but the cheapest one i could find was like $600 and i dont have the cash for that...i can manage keeping my bike in the powerband but im constantly on the clutch and frankly it gets annoying

They have BB kits for cheaper than 600, you have to send in your stock cylinder