Sign in to follow this  

Armmmm pumpppp

i sometimes have a hard time with arm pump... what can you do to prevent this from happening? and my fingers sometimes feel like they are locked around the bars and become very hard to open.... ADVICE

Here is my post from another arm pump thread (https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=881940&highlight=arm+pump)

Best way to reduce it is ride more often. Try some hand squeezers during the week.

What armpump is, is the failure of your old blood cells to leave your forearms fast enough. Therefore the new blood comes in and creates pressure in your arms, which causes the numbness and pain. The pressure then compresses all the nerves and muscles around your blood stream and you lose the proper function.

Now, the best way to prevent it from happening sooner in the race is to get your blood flowing nicely before the race. Jogging for about 20 minutes before your moto, will work. Also, jumping jacks, etc. Anything to get your blood flowing.

Another thing, teach yourself to grip the gastank with your knees so you can loosen your grips on the bars. Good luck!

• Like 1

Try to relax, loosen your grip with your hands and stabilize more with your legs/knees and don't fight the bike as it bounces around under you, just flow with it. 👍

I know it's all easy to say, but you just have to loosen up and get more comfortable some how.

Since I started racing, I've gotten arm pump once. It was my first ride back after breaking my arm from washing out in a turn. I was so nervous about the front end going out from under me again, it was all I could think about and I had the death grip going in every turn. After that race, I realized how stupid I was being and the next race I stopped worrying about it and just went back to riding like I used to, no more arm pump. All it took was a little bit of nervousness and my body started working against me. You gotta relax!

• Like 1

Arm pump = carpal tunnel. I had it so bad I couldn't do 15 laps without pain and tingling. Here's what you do. Forearm stretches. First, grab your 4 fingers and bend them backwards down the top of the forearm and feel the stretch. Do both hands. Now, reverse it. Hands in praying position but, with tops of hands together and, fingers pointed down, bending the elbows down toward the ground. Again, feel it. Lastly, take the thumb in a hitchhikers position and pull it backwards down the forearm. Do a couple times a day espescially before and after riding and weight lifting. These saved my race career!👍

• Like 1

Also if there is a point in the race where you can relax like a no passing scoring loop or just a big jump take your hands off the bars and shake it out . Thats what i do every race and it works out for me.

Good luck 👍

Try to relax, loosen your grip with your hands and stabilize more with your legs/knees and don't fight the bike as it bounces around under you, just flow with it.🤣

I know it's all easy to say, but you just have to loosen up and get more comfortable some how.

You gotta relax!

What he said 👍

Arm pump = carpal tunnel. I had it so bad I couldn't do 15 laps without pain and tingling. Here's what you do. Forearm stretches. First, grab your 4 fingers and bend them backwards down the top of the forearm and feel the stretch. Do both hands. Now, reverse it. Hands in praying position but, with tops of hands together and, fingers pointed down, bending the elbows down toward the ground. Again, feel it. Lastly, take the thumb in a hitchhikers position and pull it backwards down the forearm. Do a couple times a day espescially before and after riding and weight lifting. These saved my race career!🤣

That too, haha. 👍

i know my armpump got better after i got my suspension done. i hold on lighter now that the bike flows more instead of me hanging on for dear life worried its gonna toss me

- The most important single thing to keep from having armpump is to do a lot of quality practicing on the bike. Like 3 or 4 days per week and racing on the weekends. Or at least as much riding as you possibly can.

- Next is riding and racing with a smooth riding style, flowing with the bike, working with the bike and not riding tight and fighting the bike.

- Riders who are having arm pump problems should do more cardio and less lifting of weights.

- Don’t do you’re forearm exercises too hard. You don’t want to make the muscles too tight. Just give them a moderate workout. Maybe you’re doing them too hard.

- A lot of stretching and massage of the forearms is also good.

- A relaxed mind free of anxiety, stress and tension is also very helpful. Have fun with it and relax as much as possible.

- Ride with a low center of gravity. Use your legs to hold onto the bike as much as possible and relax your arms and hands as much as possible. A lot of riding time allows you to be able to do this.

- Make sure you are using all the proper techniques.

I have a DVD for Armpump called Elimiating Armpump, it's DVD number 6. You can see a free preview at: http://www.gsmxs.com/dvd.htm and everything is at deep discounts right now. 👍:thumbsup:🤣

Give it sometime. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Gary

I just bend my fingers back towards me off and on all the way to the track. Watch any creatine intake (if you're hitting the gym). You can tie a weight to a wooden dowel (or similar) and roll the weight up and roll it down when at home (ex-racer's advice). Gary's right....when I make the conscious effort to lower my gravity and squeeze, my arms get instant relief and can add more laps instead of pulling off. Lot's of advice above that I'll be using too. Can't wait to get my bike to "flow"

i know my armpump got better after i got my suspension done. i hold on lighter now that the bike flows more instead of me hanging on for dear life worried its gonna toss me

This is a BIG thing for arm pump. I do suspension work for a lot of riders,the one thing i ask is if they get arm pump.

A nervous bike makes a rider "tight". The most simple fix iv'e found is the rear sag is too high making the front twitchy.

I just bend my fingers back towards me off and on all the way to the track. Watch any creatine intake (if you're hitting the gym). You can tie a weight to a wooden dowel (or similar) and roll the weight up and roll it down when at home (ex-racer's advice). Gary's right....when I make the conscious effort to lower my gravity and squeeze, my arms get instant relief and can add more laps instead of pulling off. Lot's of advice above that I'll be using too. Can't wait to get my bike to "flow"

Arm pump has Always plagued me, but only on MX track. Almost never happens off-road. If I had carpal tunnel, wouldn't it bother me even riding off-road too???

It is worse now though (at 52 years old, compared to 18 years old 1st mx race); that probably DOES have to do with less flexibility/maybe some carpal tunnel/etc.

I think my prob is holding on too tight, not relaxing. Interesting comments; I think I will try the stretching.

When your watching TV or somethingits easy to get some tennis balls (or something more proffesional) and squeeze then repeatedly. This basically helps improve blood circulation in the arm.

- The most important single thing to keep from having armpump is to do a lot of quality practicing on the bike. Like 3 or 4 days per week and racing on the weekends. Or at least as much riding as you possibly can.

- Next is riding and racing with a smooth riding style, flowing with the bike, working with the bike and not riding tight and fighting the bike.

- Riders who are having arm pump problems should do more cardio and less lifting of weights.

- Don’t do you’re forearm exercises too hard. You don’t want to make the muscles too tight. Just give them a moderate workout. Maybe you’re doing them too hard.

- A lot of stretching and massage of the forearms is also good.

- A relaxed mind free of anxiety, stress and tension is also very helpful. Have fun with it and relax as much as possible.

- Ride with a low center of gravity. Use your legs to hold onto the bike as much as possible and relax your arms and hands as much as possible. A lot of riding time allows you to be able to do this.

- Make sure you are using all the proper techniques.

I have a DVD for Armpump called Elimiating Armpump, it's DVD number 6. You can see a free preview at: http://www.gsmxs.com/dvd.htm and everything is at deep discounts right now. 👍:thumbsup:🤣

Give it sometime. I hope this helps.

Good luck,

Gary

Gary,

Is there anything, nutritionally speaking, that may be lacking in one's diet that will help cause arm pump? Or help eliminate it, rather? I have heard that low potassium may help cause arm pump. Is that a myth? Thanks.

One thing that gives instant relief is how you put your gloves on. When i put my gloves on and strap the velcro down tight I have horrible arm pump. When I put my gloves on and just barely strap the velcro and keep them loose I can feel a huge difference. The blood in your arms doesn't just go to your forearms and stop then head back to your lungs and heart. It travels through your hands aswell. This doesn't stop all of the arm pump but helps a lot. At least this has been my experience. 👍

By the way where in Az do you live? I'm going to be moving back to Page Az at the end of the summer. I ride a lot and I am willing to travel to ride. If I don't ride at least once a week I feel like a fat slob. I want to find some Mx tracks. According to "Where to Ride" I will have to drive at least a few hours to find any.👍

Close to the PHX metro area. Don't know much about Page, other than there is a whiplash Race there each year. As far as MX tracks go, I have no clue.

I use the moto 911 spray. http://www.procyclesafety.com/pcs_store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=3

Put it on when i start unloading the bikes and let it sit on there for at least 10 min. If it does not burn / feel hot you have not put enough on. Icie hot works as well. It helps loosen up the muscles. Some people say it's snake oil but it works for me. I used to get in two laps and it would feel like my arms were about to fall off. Now what holds me back is my fitness not arm pump. When i don't have arm pump i can ride for longer and improve my technique and i can now ride with out using that stuff if it has not been to long since my last ride.