Sign in to follow this  

About to graduate

I am about to graduate with a BS in Engineering Technology and I've had an internship with GM.

I would like to get into the Motocross industry in some way but finding a job in MX isn't easy compared to automotive companies.

Any ideas on what companies to look at?

or should I stick more to the automotive,appliances, and other big suppliers/manufacturing companies in the US?

I’m in the same boat, just graduated with BS in ME in Jan, its rough out there. Any chances going full time with GM? As far as experience goes, GM is a great place to be. I just went full time at my internship doing design work, in the meantime I'm looking for other, more interesting jobs. Suggest you do the same. :thumbsup:

I would really want to be with GM again but havn't heard back from them. I just sent my resume to person in there I came into contact with.

There's a lot of more jobs popping up this month especially internships. Last year economy took my 2nd GM internship.

I've applied for a few companies but wanted to know if anyone knows good company or way to get into the MX industry. I rather be working with motocross and powersports with less pay than a boring job with better pay.

As a guy who didn't :thumbsup:, Follow your dreams while you can(before kids and wife)

Try smaller Bike makers, ATK, Maico, they need new designs too Hound them.. get in small and work your way up

As a guy who didn't :lol:, Follow your dreams while you can(before kids and wife)

Try smaller Bike makers, ATK, Maico, they need new designs too Hound them.. get in small and work your way up

Pat4wd has the right idea. As an engineer myself (not in auto/moto) your thread caught my interest.

If you really want to work in the bike industry, really go for it. Don't just send your resume to companies, do something 'outside the box'. Find a privateer, and work with him on a national race circuit, even if you have to do it without pay (if you can swing it), stay at campgrounds, whatever... Do something like this, meet the right people, and who knows what doors might open up. If nothing else, you'll have the time of your life, and an experience like this would impress most engineering managers i've worked for. Approach it as a career move, not a vacation, and explain in well in an interview.

I had ideas like this when I was younger. But, one day i woke up with a wife, kids, a mortgage, rental property, more bills than the gov't...... I'll regret not doing something like this forever :thumbsup:..

Realize the powersports industry is small and there are a lot of young guys trying to get a starting position. Many work as apprentices, get paid next to nothing and have to prove themselves.

I was fortunate to get a job as a FSM for Yamaha when I was young. Pay sucked. Hours were long, I had dreams. My drive to be a industry insider was not as strong as my will to survive. After 2 years, I went to the auto side and five years later, got out all together. But that is me. If you really have to, take what you can get, make a name for yourself. It is a small enough biz that if you really are good, people will know and eventually, you will be paid what you are worth.

You might try one of the automotive suppliers. A number of years back my boss and I stumbled into designing parts for SCORE offroad trucks and then a stint designing Nascar parts from a simple phone call. Lasted about two years, but was great fun until management found out what was going on and put a stop to it. You never know what can come along.