Main jet is 178 !?! **updated**

hello there ,

I recently checked the size of my main jet and i was extremely surprised becuase as u can see it turned out to be 178 !

i think it is little too much and it should reduce HP and reduce MPG.isn`t that ?

if i will replace the jet to a smaller one , the bike will loose his power ,gaim more , or stay with no difference?

my 07-Z-SM is with fcr 39 (not the MX) ,K&N (with the 3X3 mode. th holes are at the left side of the bike in the air box panel ) ,Akra. full system ,elev is 2600ft .

to which main jet i should replace to ?

which carb` setting should i use at all ?(u know ... niddle clip , pilot jet etc.)

BTW

i did a search several times and didnt find any proper setting .

thanks for helpers .

Edited by Dambo-DD
update

Ive got a 165 in mine at sea level which i think is poss a touch rich now its warmed up a bit , my mods are the same as yours via the pipe which is a scorpion , at your elevation i think a 160 or the next size up 162 would be the right choice , 178 is way too rich and will make less power and give less mpg

You need.....

Main Jet

Pilot Jet

Starter Jet

Pilot Air

Main Air

Needle code and clip position

If its an E model slant FCR, has the coast enrichener been removed? If so, how did they plug the 2 nipples? Has the "Eddie Mod" been done?

You need to provide ALL of this. If you have trouble finding any of this the search will bring up tons of info. With all this you will get all the info to setup your carb completely, hopefully first time.

You need.....

Main Jet

Pilot Jet

Starter Jet

Pilot Air

Main Air

Needle code and clip position

If its an E model slant FCR, has the coast enrichener been removed? If so, how did they plug the 2 nipples? Has the "Eddie Mod" been done?

You need to provide ALL of this. If you have trouble finding any of this the search will bring up tons of info. With all this you will get all the info to setup your carb completely, hopefully first time.

i have this FCR and i dont know if it was on E before ,but i do think it came from the E model.http://www.psychopater.nl/drz/FCR39/links.jpg

in every FCR the jets located at the same place ?

what is the "coast enrichener " , any way if u ment to the problem with no vacum for petcock, i solved it .

Dambo , you wrote that there are holes in the sidecover aswell , this will greatly affect the jetting . It could be why the previous owner had such a large mainjet , greg

yes, but maybe the main jet is still too much.

i considering to shut the holes in the sidecover and open the 3X3 under the seat . it will make a differnce ?

thanks alot ot you all .

this is the fcr on my bike :088.jpg

which one is the starter jet?

095.jpg

this is it ?

092.jpg

O.K , here is the result :

after 3 hours and a half ...

main jet is 178 .

Needle code clip position :OBEK S .clip position :4th from top .

pilot air jet (on the left ) is :100

pilot jet is :40(long jet with small holes )

and the fuel screw is 1.5 turns out

i dont know what is the :

Starter Jet

Main Air

but i have this sizes so help me decide :

small jet near the main jet in size or 68 or89 i couldn`t decide .(i asumeing its the starter jet)

the leake jet is 66 if it make any difference .

there is no main air jet (the right one from to two )

i had a hard time to connect the manifold that came out from air box to the carb. and i think the engine sucks air from there , have any ideas?

BTW , when i took out the carb. i also cleaned it . just when i sarted the bike it sounds louder. after a little ride i noticed a huge difference and the Z became as powerful as he used to be but i didnt notice the power lose before .

anyway i see that your Z does a power wheely in 2nd and even 3rd gear , mine is not coming up even in 1st with WOT , i need to use the cluch a lil bit .it just not make any sence , it is becuase of the large main jet ? or there is something wrong with the corrent jetting ?.

thanks alot for all.

Edited by Dambo-DD