Sign in to follow this  

89 to 93 fork upgrade ?'s

anyone ever do this to get the "better" cartridge forks?

i know the axle is thicker on the 93, but will i still be able to use my front wheel with the appropriate spacers?

can i get the stuff to do it?

In this case you can change out the bearings to get your hub to fit the larger axle of the 93. What I'm not 100% sure on is the spacer you will need on the brake side and if your old brake caliper will fit or align correctly.

Getting the axle to fit appears to be the easy part. It's the brakes that concern me. Your 88 uses 6202 bearings and the 93 uses 6003 bearings.

6202 is 15x35x11

6003 is 17x35x10

If you put some 6003 bearings in your 89 front wheel it will then fit the 17mm axle of the 93 front end. Now all you have to deal with is spacers and the caliper.

I've done something similar. The 89 lower legs will fit on the 93 uppers with no mods at all. Everything from your 89 will bolt on. No special spacers, bearing changes or anything at all. Travel will stay the same as your stock 89s but with the better cartridge damping characteristics. Use the 93 springs or the 89 springs with the short spring replaced by a preload spacer.

The lowers do use the same seals...but the damping doohickey has a much bigger hole on the 89 than the little needly thingamajig on the 93. (the two things that screw into the bottom of the legs)

the moral of this: you cannot use the 89 lowers on the 93 forks.

Ony of youse got a 93-94 front wheel you wanna sell cheap?