Sign in to follow this  

Put in your place

I was riding yesterday out at milestone mx here in Riverside, and was feeling pretty good, when none other than Grant Langston passed me like I was standing still (I think he was testing suspension). It definitely put my speed into perspective haha. I'm sure this kind of thing is common, but I still thought it was pretty cool being on the same track as the 2007 national champ. Anyone have any cool close-encounter with the pros stories?

A buddy and I were haulin' a$$ down a wash in Ensenada about 8 years ago, we had it pinned, thought we were flying, then 2 guys in Honda Team outfits on big Hondas flew past us like we were 8 year olds on Min-Trail 50's! We were all close to town at this point so we followed them (from afar), turns out it was Steve Hengeveld and Johnny Campbell.

Yeah, we were put in our place.

Bobby Fitch is a local pro out here in the Denver area, and races AMA Supercross and outdoors (Kawi rider, #97). We have a mutual friend and I met him a couple of Sundays ago; good dude. Well he passed me so fast, I thought I was going backwards, lol.

I was at Gravity Alley in Breaux Bridge La. a few years ago. I was absolutely railing the track and doing everything just right. Except going fast, because K-Dub casually calmly passed me while standing and looking over at me, and then just disapeared. I could tell by his body language and look over, he was was saying "spode realax, you ain't gonna hang". It really took me down a notch or two. He was a great guy to talk to too.

I've gotten roosted pretty good by Makita Suzuki's Frank Lettieri #461 at the opening day of a new local track in Virginia.

DSC01666.jpg

And Supercross racer, Ryan Smith has given me a Stone Spray Samich a couple of times too.

not in the dirt but i had Ty Howard lap me at MSR Cresson - on a borrowed 50bhp supermotard. I was on a GSXR, in the fast group.

that dude is faaa-aast

Langston, and a bunch of other pros, blew by me at Cahuilla a few years ago.

yea, a blueprinted engine and 50k or more spent on suspension will do that to you.

I wouldn't feel bad just like I wouldn't feel bad doing bracket racing at a track and an alcohol funny car pulls up beside me and whips me because fact being told, they are two totally different machines.

I was riding yesterday out at milestone mx here in Riverside, and was feeling pretty good, when none other than Grant Langston passed me like I was standing still (I think he was testing suspension). It definitely put my speed into perspective haha. I'm sure this kind of thing is common, but I still thought it was pretty cool being on the same track as the 2007 national champ. Anyone have any cool close-encounter with the pros stories?

Had the same experience riding Mesquite outside of Vegas with Mr. Langston. Very humbling... I too found reverse on my bike. 👍

Pic is Langston showing how it's done...

pix_0022004 009.jpg

YUP GREY DAVENPORT races on our hometown track(#7 in points in arena cross series) and his girlfreind(damn this girl is fast).He took a 3rd in last week arena cross race.Met him a few times and a hell of a nice kid!!

Been passed in tight single track by Mike Lafferty at a National Enduro. That is real humbling seeing how fast he hustles his bike through tight woods like that. I actually get to race regularly against guys like Nick Fahringer, Robbie Jenks, and Josh Gaitten. Nick is 5th in Nat Enduro points, Josh is 10th, and of course Robbie was National Harescramble Champ a few years back. All of them carry speed in the tight stuff that is really impressive.

I was at harescramble last year at Lightning Raceway in SE Ohio near my house. Well there was a gnarly uphill full of ruts, rocks, roots and slick clay and every rider going up it was either falling down, bobbling, foot paddling or just sitting at the bottom exhausted. Justin Williamson was racing and came by, flew up the hill like it was a paved highway and made us look like fools. I felt like I was riding a PW50 in the pee wee class...👍

I went to a local track last summer and a few local pros were there (Bobby Kiniry, Paul Carpenter, Jack Carpenter). Those guys were FAAAAST. So fast that the made the local fast Expert look like he was barely moving.

Same thing happened to me. Riding practice at Washougal and "thought" I was kill'n it. Jason McCormick came by me so damn fast in a turn on his 125er (I on a 426) it scared the shizt outta me. Just an explosion of sound , dust, and a red blurrrrrrrr.🤣

But, I did have the coolest thing happen one time. I was coming to a double I had never jumped. I was following two guy that weren't jumping it and kinda in my way so I decided I was going to jump the double and pass these two guy. I committed and as I launched there was Chuck Sun right next to me in the air. We touched down and that was the last I seen of him other than his dust but.......for a brief moment in time, there I was in the air over a double side by side with Chuck Sun. 👍

I have had John Dowd blow past me a couple times at the practice track. The amazing part is how much distance he covers in such little time, makes you feel like you are not even moving.

Jeff Alessi used to race qualifier races in Arizona when we were on 85s. I would have got the holeshot if he wasn't in my moto 👍🤣

It was pretty cool, definitely super fast

If Tony was there, you should have run him over while you had the chance! hehe

I have been sitting in the woods taking a break and watch Nick Farhinger come thru the same trail I just did(we belong to the same club in Dayton).

It seems impossible to go that fast in the woods:worthy:

Out here in southern California you can see the Pros practice a lot at the local tracks, usually in between SX and MX seasons or an off week during the MX Natl's. I've been smoked at Perris by Ping, Buddy Antunez, and Greg Schnell in the late 90's. At GH I have been blown off the track by Albee, DV12 a few times, Ryno, Dr. D, Villapoto, Alessi and more. At Cahuilla Creek used to see Roncada, DV12, and Tortelli a lot there. Ryno too, he's everywhere. Had Mc Grath scare the crap out of me last year there. He then got on a CRF 150F and made the freakin table top jump that is right after the BIG R/H berm going uphill. Quite a jump for him on that bike. I saw Ivan and Gio Tedesco and Ryno at Elsinore way back when Ryno had the only CRF450R in the US. Out at I-5 when it was open Kehoe and his old Team Honda of Troy went there a bunch, still saw Erik there even last year. Been smoked by Damon Huffman there also during practice. Also have seen Erik Kehoe at Piru MX (used to be Lemon Grove) along with MX Kied and others.

Back when I was a 100cc Jr in 1976 or so I had the chnace on many occasions to race with Ricky Johnson and Jim Holley (they were 100cc Pros at 13 and 14 yrs old respectively)

Also raced with Kehoe at Dunes back then. (they put the 80cc Experts in with the 100cc class or vice versa) Got lapped by all these guys within 4 laps every race, every time. The speed they carry is amazing. What will really amaze you is how relentless they are. You will keep up for a turn or two, then Bam they are gone scary fast. I once went riding in Palm Desert in 1979 and saw a team Suzuki truck. So it was Bryan Myerscough's bike and mechanic. That was a thrill meeting him when I was 16. Especially when he smoked Glover, O'Mara, and Barnett at Saddleback the next year at the Nationals. I mean smoked, won both motos by 25-30 seconds over all of them.

Of all the guys I have been on the track with, Villapoto was by far the guy who scared me the most with his speed. Thought he was going to hit that telephone pole at GH at the end of the long straight in the back following the horseshoe. Of all the guys I have met on these days the coolest guy was DV12 by far. Used to come by himself in his P/U and you could stop by and BS with him.

Biggest A-hole by far: Ryno. Enough said about that, anyone who has met him may agree or not.

We are lucky that in our sport you do have a chance to ride with the best in the world. Only in MX or by surfing have I ever been able to participate in a sport along side the best in the world.