Sign in to follow this  

Differences between 01 and 02 YZ250

What are the main differences between the two years besides the looks of the body? I currently have an 01 but i have a chance to buy an 02 rolling chassis minus a couple body panels and a motor in parts. The guy is asking 600 for it all. Would it be woth dumping that 600 into my bike or getting this bike and swaping the motor over to it? Is there much difference in the handling and suspension department? Thanks

i usually grab it from dirtrider but looks as though they only started the review in 2003

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/2003_yamaha_yz250/index.html

Clip From Article:

WHAT CHANGES DID ENGINEERS MAKE TO THE YZ250?

• Modified the rigidity of the frame and swingarm to improve handling and reduce weight

• Decreased the combustion chamber from 21.5 to 21cc

• Reshaped cylinder exhaust ports and raised them 0.4mm higher

• Increased crankshaft taper from 17 to 18mm and the nut size from 10 to 12mm to improve rigidity and reliability

• Made second gear slightly taller. The '02 version was 25/16 or 1:1.563, whereas the '03 version is 23/15 or 1:1.533

• Re-valved front and rear suspension

• Re-designed rear brake caliper and integrated the master cylinder for weight reduction. Piston diameter has been decreased from 12.7 to 11.6mm--saving 45 grams

• Increased rear brake caliper piston diameter from 24.5 to 27mm to make it 20 percent more rigid and improve braking characteristics

• Fuel tank is 350 grams lighter

• Revised piston material and shape in the front brake caliper

What are the main differences between the two years besides the looks of the body? I currently have an 01 but i have a chance to buy an 02 rolling chassis minus a couple body panels and a motor in parts. The guy is asking 600 for it all. Would it be woth dumping that 600 into my bike or getting this bike and swaping the motor over to it? Is there much difference in the handling and suspension department? Thanks

Nope... no real or noticeable difference.

The only thing that you will really gain is a larger selection of graphics.

If you have a 01 that is already in good shape, then I recommend that you take 200 of the 600 bucks and get yourself some new graphics. Put the remaining 400 in the bank.. We are in a recession!

Well i have the newer style tank and shrouds to put on...was thinkin bout doin that but wanted to get your guys opinions if i should or not. And wondered if the 02 had better suspenion or handling then my 01.

The 02 has a stiffer frame than the 01. You would probably notice a difference riding it. I woudl almost promise you would like the 01 better.

The gas tank on the 02 is in a far better position that you cannot duplicate on the 01 frame.

The 02 shares shrouds and fenders as the newer models do. The crankshaft is the only thing that is different than any other years. You cannot swap an 03 and above crank in it. Look at the Steahly flywheel weights for the years and you can see that the 02 is totally different. I own an 02 and love it.

so an '02 tank won't fit an '01? I was thinking of doing the same swap.

You can make brackets and use it, but the front does not sit as low as it does on the 02 frame. I dont know if you'll gain anythign other thna being able to use the newer graphics

I have the 01 and have ridden a few 02's that my Bros in law have. The suspension is dead even in my book. I like the 01 motor better. Just a hair better response to me. the 02 only gets you to the current graphics choices. which is substantial.

You can make brackets and use it, but the front does not sit as low as it does on the 02 frame. I dont know if you'll gain anythign other thna being able to use the newer graphics

I was getting it for the tank. Mine cracked and all the ones on ebay ('96-'01) are just as much as a new one $$. For some reason the newer tanks ('02 and up) are selling cheaper.