Sign in to follow this  

BETA RR Exhaust

Just curious what exhaust muffler everyone is using on their BETA. I have a 08 BETA 525 RR and I am using the FMF muffler with the quiet core tip. Thinking about going back to stock muffler. any observations on either. The stock is very quiet.

I kept the stock muffler. It is so quiet and there is more than enough power. My Dad's 06 450 exc was so loud with an fmf shory . He actually tried to use a stock Beta 525 muffler but it didn't fit. He's got another spark arrestor from fmf but I don't know which one. Mine is still more quiet. I keep looking and reading what others have put on but still go back to what I have.👍

I am running the stock muffler on my 08 525RS. Mine is in supermoto trim so quiet is nice on the street so I don't draw a lot of attention. I think I will continue to run this pipe unless I find out that I am losing a lot of the power available. Do you feel a difference in power with your FMF over the stock pipe? Did you have to rejet for the pipe when you installed it? I ran an open SSW/MRD pipe on my DRZ 400 for a year.....great power increase but so loud I had to wear ear plugs. Totally obnoxious to most people so I am enjoying the stealth sound with my Beta pipe. I think if I rode off road I would keep the stock pipe also just to avoid annoying people....this bike has more than enough power in the dirt so why push it.

I am running the stock muffler on my 08 525RS. Mine is in supermoto trim so quiet is nice on the street so I don't draw a lot of attention. I think I will continue to run this pipe unless I find out that I am losing a lot of the power available. Do you feel a difference in power with your FMF over the stock pipe? Did you have to rejet for the pipe when you installed it? I ran an open SSW/MRD pipe on my DRZ 400 for a year.....great power increase but so loud I had to wear ear plugs. Totally obnoxious to most people so I am enjoying the stealth sound with my Beta pipe. I think if I rode off road I would keep the stock pipe also just to avoid annoying people....this bike has more than enough power in the dirt so why push it.

I am using the FMF powercore 4, with the QUIET CORE SPARK ARRESTOR INSERT. This has been a good combo, not too loud but it has a nice roar when you wick it up. A friend of mine runs the stock muffler on his beta and it is the quietest dirt bike i have ever been around. He will follow you and you don't even realize he is there, until he passes you. I changed mufflers when my gift pack from BETA arrived, which had the muffler among many other things, and i never really rode with the stock muffler. I have performed so many carb mods (leak jet screw, jd jet kit, and fuel screw) that i did not get a chance to do a serious ride in pure stock form. Based on previous bikes and similar mods, i would bet the bike makes similar power with less throttle response and better power delivery at lower rpms. I need to just try it, as the JD kit did not really allow for muffler system like my honda kit did so jetting may play less of a role with muffler choices. The fmf quiet core makes a lot of difference on the noise.

The only thing that aftermarket exhaust will buy you is a weight savings.

And unless your a pro and making money by riding your bike, whats the point?

By keeping with stock, you keep the noise down (I love blowing past buddies who never heard me coming 👍) AND you don;t need to repack the stock exhaust.

you don;t need to repack the stock exhaust.

Really? Are you sure? Somewhere I heard the stock exhaust on the RS was made by FMF, and I assume it had the fiberglass mat in it. (cannot verify my source🤣) It would be great if what you are saying is true - a very quiet high perfomance no maintenance exhaust! 👍

Really? Are you sure?

Well, that got me thinking I might be wrong, so I started looking around............

I can't find anything in my owners manual regarding repacking of exhaust.

I looked at all the PDF manuals I've down loaded...nothing there either.

If the owners manual says nothing of it on their periodic maintenance chart or anywhere else, then I'm sticking by my first comment 👍

I'm guessing here...but I think to be street legal, the exhaust must be maintenance free. just a guess.

The stock 08 Beta silencer has two inserts, one front and one rear.The front one has a screen and a tube which is approx 1-5/8" dia perforated and runs about two thirds the lenth of the can. In stock form it is the front portion that requires packing. The rear end of the perforated core terminates into a bulkhead which is part of the rear insert.The rear insert comprises of the baffle chamber which has a perforated wall the same outside dia as the inside of can, a forward bulkhead which also supports and isolates the front perforated core and a offset necked down tube for the gasses to escape. I cut out the rear section leaving a stub of tubing near the muffler end cap and removed the bulk head and the baffle chamber portion and replaced it with 1-1/2 exhaust tubing which I slit lenthways with a zip cutter to quite the new tubing portion down , welded it to the end cap and slipped it inside the forward perforated core section.I then added extra silencer packing where there was none originally.The bike feels less corked ,is louder than stock but really no louder than a stock Ktm 530 exc.

Edited by widebear