Backfire Screen removed

Now don't start blasting, I've looked for the answer and can't find it specifically. My bike runs just fine, JD kit as per the instructions, AP mod and top of box cut. Just the way I want it to be. The problem is with the backfire screen. It seems to need more cleaning than the filter. I run a Twin Air with No Toil and seem like there's always some goo or something that is hard to get off the two layers of mesh, so I removed it! Should I need to rejet just because of this?

Issues IMHO:

If you have gunk in the backfire screen, something is wrong: too much filter oil, crankcase vent is spewing, or something. It should be spotless.

Backfire screen is there specifically for backfiring. If you you no-toil, you should be fine ( not flammable) but still be careful if it's really hard to start, and keep and eye on the filter with the door open.

I removed mine. Didnt have to rejet or anything. I also run a twin air mainly because they are backfire resistant. I had a crf150 once upon a time with the screen removed and a uni filter. I opened the airbox up one day to find a fairly large hole in the filter, about 1 1/2 inch round. Nothing against uni but be sure to keep the screen in place.

Thanks, will not worry about it much then. The "gunk" was minimal just a nuisance to me as I want everything spotless downstream of the filter for obvious reasons. For whatever reason sometimes the No Toil cleaner reacts with something and makes a kind of paste, looks like white grease and it is hard to get rid of. Don't know what it is but it sometimes gets on the screen in a couple of spots.

Besides, less weight means more mph right? JK

to clean the backfire screen grab a bottle of carb cleaner and spray it. Will be clean in a matter of seconds. I clean mine everytime I change the filter. Make sure and let it airdry or blow dry before firing the bike back up

Sounds though that if you have goo, you may want to keep that backfire screen in place or that goo will be in your carb and/or engine

I use NoToil with TwinAir, and don't run a backfire screen. I've never had a problem and never seen gunk. I thoroughly inspect the intake boot everytime I clean the filter and have never seen anything. Sounds a little odd.

I use NoToil with TwinAir, and don't run a backfire screen. I've never had a problem and never seen gunk. I thoroughly inspect the intake boot everytime I clean the filter and have never seen anything. Sounds a little odd.

When I say gunk I really mean a little residual from the No Toil oil and grease that doesn't clean up easily with the No Toil cleaner. I didn't think of trying carb cleaner ?

Anyway, seems to run just fine, my son rode it Friday and said it felt good. I'll be putting some DS miles on it this weekend and we'll see.

Thanks all for the input.

doesn't a crankcase vent run into the airbox behind your filter? I think I removed mine and just did a filtered vent. stock there is the tube down by the chain that you need to pull the plug out of once in a while to let condensation out or whatever may be in there. just a guess but maybe this is full?

Thanks, will not worry about it much then. The "gunk" was minimal just a nuisance to me as I want everything spotless downstream of the filter for obvious reasons. For whatever reason sometimes the No Toil cleaner reacts with something and makes a kind of paste, looks like white grease and it is hard to get rid of. Don't know what it is but it sometimes gets on the screen in a couple of spots.

Besides, less weight means more mph right? JK

You need to wash the filter in gasoline to remove any petroleum oil, then in Dawn dish soap to remove the gasoline. Clean it till you can't smell the gas anymore. Now the No Toil will work correctly.

You need to wash the filter in gasoline to remove any petroleum oil, then in Dawn dish soap to remove the gasoline. Clean it till you can't smell the gas anymore. Now the No Toil will work correctly.

Huh... I always just cleaned it in gas and then let it sit overnight so all the gas evaporated? does this work? How long to you let it sit for all the water to get out?

i removed the screen on my '03 R in 2004...300 hours later, no problems. if your bike is running right it'll never backfire through the air filter.

that's a risk not everyone is willing, or should take.

Ever hit the button (or kickstarter) to have your bike cough, and feel like the airbox or sidepanels just expanded a bit?! I have... and my bikes are usually spot on as well. All it takes, is one spark... and a little too much fuel (and that cough), when your trying to get'er running and it catches fire (I nearly burnt my golf-cart to the ground when testing if a screen, or backfire apparatus is needed).

The risk, versus reward... is something that tells me, SCREEN stays!

To aid in less risk of fire... be sure to hold in your kill switch, when cycling the piston or "clearing out" the cylinder.

Huh... I always just cleaned it in gas and then let it sit overnight so all the gas evaporated? does this work? How long to you let it sit for all the water to get out?

Till it's dry to the touch.

No toil only works if you remove all the petroleum oil/gas in the filter, then use their cleaner. It is a great system.

Till it's dry to the touch.

No toil only works if you remove all the petroleum oil/gas in the filter, then use their cleaner. It is a great system.

Why would you have to remove all the oil/gas. When I clean mine in gas all of the dirt and stuff comes with it. then i let it dry, oil it and stick it back in.