Sign in to follow this  

idle speed?

My 2009 DR seems to be idling much faster these past few days. We have had a couple of pretty warm days here, a little above 90F, would that have anything to do with it? Also, if it is idling faster, can/will that cause problems to the engine? I'll borrow a tach this weekend and see what it's RPM is, I was just wondering.

thanks all.

Temperature does have an effect, but it's not as significant as other factors. It could be any or all of the following:

1. Idle thumbscrew out of adjustment

2. Idle mixture out of adjustment

3. Float improperly set

4. Jets are dirty/clean

5. Air filter is dirty/clean

I've had all of the above problems. The only way to know for sure is to check/adjust each one individually until it's right.

Thanks for the reply. I'll get my buddy's tach and check the actual RPM before I tear back into it.

It's quite normal for your idle speed to pick up RPM once your engine is at full operating temp... if you have the pilot circuit set close to correctly. It just means your engine AFR is correct when the engine is fully warmed up. This is where you should be setting you idle speed. I set mine in the middle so it does idle a bit higher once really warm but stays idling a bit earlier when cold. The issue with an air cooled engine is temp is not as consistant like a water cooled engine so you will get some variance.

If your bike idles good when cold and begins to slow down when hot your pilot circuit is set too rich......

Actually, the bike starts up pretty well, cold or hot with adjustment of the choke. Idles a tad rough when cold, but since the weather really warmed up, seems to be idling a bit fast. Still runs fantastic, I was just wondering if it is actually idling a little fast if I could hurt something. I don't want to mess with it after the debacle of having to replace the stock pilot jet, adjusting the float, etc. Now I'm actually enjoying the bike rather than having to try and getting it to run right!