How much room between tire & fender? Sm

Hey guys, I just picked up a DRZ SM last week, and was trying to decide on a stealthy place where I should stuff my insurance papers, some spare earplugs etc.. when I came across these guys: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NanoTube-Tool-Tube-Storage-Vstrom-TransAlp-BMW-GS-DR650_W0QQitemZ220570918368QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item335b0d1de0

I was curious if anyone knew how much real estate is left between the top of the rear tire and the underside of the subframe/rear fender? That would seem to be a stealthy spot to chuck one of these guys (providing the tire doesnt bottom out on it and mangle everything)

allrighty, thanks, figured it was worth a shot! I was gonna try jumping up an down on the pegs and looking, but I cant lean over to see how much room there is at the same time ?

if you're going to do that,do it the smart way and use a set of ratcheting tie-downs across the seat down to each side of the swingarm to fully compress the suspension.

that tube is 2 11/16" in diameter at the cap but it is over a foot long. I doubt the diameter would cause any problems but mounting it along the arc of the inside of the fender and it being that long could be problematic. If all you want it for is papers and ear plugs I would find something smaller because even that smaller tube is way overkill for the volume you need. Unless there is more you want to carry in there than papers and ear plugs.

Personally I keep my insurance folded up behind my license in my wallet. That way I never waste a cops time when I get pulled over and therefore sometimes lowers the probability that I am going to get a ticket. And you should have room for many sets of spare ear plugs in your pockets but I am guessing you are adverse to that idea so maybe a ziploc bag in the bottom of the airbox is a better solution for you.

if you're going to do that,do it the smart way and use a set of ratcheting tie-downs across the seat down to each side of the swingarm to fully compress the suspension.

Why would I do that? It makes too much sense ? I contemplated it, but I didnt want to go buy a ratcheting tie down to crank down and snap off the rear subframe (they dont look that beefy

Best thing is to get a nice back pack and keep that stuff in there ? or a good Camel back that has pockets as well?

I'm not huge on backbacks when riding when I can avoid it

I was looking at those too but was hoping for something stealthier (the same seller as the one I linked carries those) I'll probably be getting one for extra fuel and junk to pop on when I'm doing a longer ride

Personally I keep my insurance folded up behind my license in my wallet. That way I never waste a cops time when I get pulled over and therefore sometimes lowers the probability that I am going to get a ticket. And you should have room for many sets of spare ear plugs in your pockets but I am guessing you are adverse to that idea so maybe a ziploc bag in the bottom of the airbox is a better solution for you.

I was thinking something along those lines but not necessarily that long (i'm sure theres others around or I could make one) All I'm really thinking for is tire pressure guage, insurance papers and ear plugs. Our insurance papers here in BC are 2 or 3 fullsize sheets of paper, it bulks up the wallet pretty quick :applause: That and I have a few jackets/pants helmets that I wear so I know I'll forget it in another set of gear and that'll be the day I get pulled over :jawdrop: And I ALWAYS forget to grab earplugs until i'm about 5-10 minutes down the road :cheers:

If I can find one I was thinking of trying to find another Yoshi rs-3 can and make one of those big tool tubes outta that, so it looks a little less out of place (but I havent decided if that would look like balls or not yet :crazy:)

Anyways thanks for the help guys!

On a side note, I opened my airbox to see what there was for real estate in there, and theres two lightbulbs hanging down into it. Is that some normal storage area for spare bulbs or was the previous owner retarded?

Im not sure about lightbulbs, mine had no lights in there, But it is a good spot for the insurance papers, in the side of the airbox on the numberplates inside there is a small square spot that you cant get to without opening it, thats where I keep my insurance in a plastic bag... if that makes any sense

This is what I mean about bulbs

Those black & white wires are what they're hooked up to

DSC01280.jpg

And they hang down through holes that look like they got holesawed into the airbox

DSC01279.jpg

The bulbs might be the after effects of the fender eliminator, but I'm working on putting a modified stock tail assembly in (I got all the stock parts with the bike) and it looks like I already have all the bulbs and wires, and flipping all the turn signals and everything on they dont light up.

I hate it when people mess with wiring when they dont know what they're doing.

Will all those extra holes hurt performance any? (should I try and find an unmolested airbox and do a 3x3 to it?)

holy hack.the bulbs are probably run hidden like that to add resistance to the turn signal circuit to properly modulate some led signals which i bet you might have.there are much cleaner ways to do it than that.wow.

at any rate,if it were me i'd try to get another stock airbox and start over the right way.

as for the signals i'd install a load-independent electronic led turn signal relay or a couple 50ohm 20 watt resistors wired in parallel,one for each pair of sigs run along the inside edge of the subframe.

makes sense, I didnt notice them flickering when I had the turn signals on though *shrug* If I can find a stock airbox and 3x3 it as well.

I'm ditching the fender eliminator and LED signals, too much of a heatscore when I've already got the yosh rs-3 comp full exhaust on there ?

I've just got the stock rear fender that'll be going back on with the giant snorkel the brake light mounts to removed, and I'm going to shorten the turn signal stalks, and *maybe* cut the bottom end of the fender off and move the reflector a little higher up, but we'll see what happens