Sign in to follow this  

SM Cam's!!

Hi im new too the TT community but this seems to be the best place for answers. i just bought an 07 sm and i want to put cams in it but the E cams are hard to come across. will the cams out of any 400 dirt motor work like out of an ltz or dvx, kfx somthing thats just more common to find. anyone heard of or done this???

i looked up all the part numbers and none of them are the same so you would think if they where the same cams they would have they same part numbers right??

The E cams are what you want unless you are willing to spend more on a set of Stage I HotCams which are almost identical. Check the classifieds here on TT or even Ebay and you will come across a set of E's for around $100. Be sure the cams are marked with an A and B on the gear end of the cams or you don't have true E cams....lots of people sell S or SM cams and misrepresent them as E cams. They make a nice improvement to the power band and if your valves are in spec with your S cams then you probably won't have to reshim them when you do the cam swap...be sure and check them after the swap just to be sure. You will be fine with your stock valves and springs also.

i looked up all the part numbers and none of them are the same so you would think if they where the same cams they would have they same part numbers right??

you would think - but they don't and aren't

They make a nice improvement to the power band

Would you see any improvement with a 3x3 BSR36 carb and stock exhaust? Obviously not the best setup for top power. Thx.

Would you see any improvement with a 3x3 BSR36 carb and stock exhaust? Obviously not the best setup for top power. Thx.

I have seen dyno charts here that I think showed about 2 hp gain with the E cams but I am not sure if this was with an open pipe instead of a stock pipe. I do know that if you can handle the noise the MRD pipe, JD jet kit on the BSR36 carb, E cams, and 3x3 will be a great running combo and probably put out close to 40 dyno hp which is a huge improvement (6+ hp) over what you are running currently. Like Bumtarder said the E base gasket will enhance it but most people don't think its worth the large amount of work to install it unless you are already pulling the top end.