Sign in to follow this  

New to me XR 50...Need advice.

Hey! A good friend just gave me a 2000 XR 50. I am gonna fix it up for my Daughter. She wont be able to ride it for a couple more years so I have time to tinker with it. I am going to leave the engine stock but it is going to need some new plastic, handlebars, grips, brake lever, chain and sprockets, and a few other odds and ends. I really want to get it looking nice for her.

Anyone have any suggestions for where to order some stuff? I order a lot from Moto Sport and Rocky Mountain and I know they have parts for it, I was just wondering if there was maybe a specialty store or something...I will post some before and after shots when I get it restored...Thanks in advance...👍

If you want to make it look presentable as a gift on the cheap, you can get a plastic kit off ebay for $40 or so that looks decent. Fit ment is a little rough, but it does fit. The problem is the plastic is on the weak side, should really be twice as thick or made from a more pliable plastic. So that's one way to make it look good, but it won't stay that way.

I would simply watch ebay for stock plastics to come up from someone who wanted a different color or what ever and buy those. You've got plenty of time. I think I had ours up, with slight trail rash for $20 and it still didn't sell.

You might want to keep the old plastics for her to learn with, reserving the new plastics for when she's got the hang of it. Kids are gonna dump it.

All in all, these are good bikes, be warned, shifting could be better. You will need to close the throttle completely and count to three (about 1 second, perhaps 1.5s) before shifting. If you don't close the throttle, it will wheelie fast and if you don't give it a pause, it'll buck. Otherwise, these are great bikes.

Also, you never mentioned it, but if it crosses your mind, don't waste your time or money on training wheels.