Sign in to follow this  

XR650L First mods

Just purchased an XR650L. Brand new 08' leftover. Thinking of the basics for first mods and was wondering what results people have had with doing exhaust, air filter and jetting with out de-smogging the bike. Seems like it could be a little fatter in the jetting with out any other mods?? Do any of the aftermarket tanks fit with out de-smogging?

I just picked up a Brand New leftover '08 too! I'll await more informed replies. I've already de-smogged it and put on a Clark 4.7 tank. The tank would have fit without the de-smogging. Are you planning on keeping the smog pump, and if so, why?

I don,t plan on keeping it but I am moving to MD. in a couple of months and I do not know how strict there inspection/emissions program is so I intended to leave it intact until I had it tagged there.

Yes, the bike is on the lean side from the factory. The best thing you can do is get a UNI filter and rejet it.

Just purchased an XR650L. Brand new 08' leftover. Thinking of the basics for first mods and was wondering what results people have had with doing exhaust, air filter and jetting with out de-smogging the bike. Seems like it could be a little fatter in the jetting with out any other mods?? Do any of the aftermarket tanks fit with out de-smogging?

:smirk:modding these things is like heroin... once you start.👍

Now that you've been warned, dump the smog pump (if you have basic hand tools, you can make the block-off plates yourself), keep the oil seperator though (I wish the PO of my had kept it... no reason to get rid of it). Dave's mods are cheap. Jets cost a few bucks. You'll have it running right for a little bit of cash.

Next comes (in no particular order) the pipe, gearing, USD forks, tires, brakes, kickstarter, NX second gear, headlight, taillight, LED blinkers, fold-away mirrors, battery relo & XR600 numberplate... maybe then start thinking about going sumo... dump a ton more cash into it for that adventure and then when it's all said and done, sell out and buy a KTM🤣

You have been warned. Oh btw... congrats on the bike and welcome to the asylum 🙂

I don,t plan on keeping it but I am moving to MD. in a couple of months and I do not know how strict there inspection/emissions program is so I intended to leave it intact until I had it tagged there.

Be careful! I lived in Laurel, MD back in the '90s and had a cherry XL500. Some maggot stole it from in front of my house in the middle of the night (didn't have a garage). Still mourn the loss.

first mod on the XR650L should be 2" rox risers, actually feels like a dirtbike now! just moved the handlebars, no extending of the cables needed, bolt on application!

Unless you are crossing deep water, the factory filter is the best at filtering, foam second, and oiled gauze next to not even having a filter. The stock bike will not melt down. Rich jetting just covers up some of the carb shortcomings like the lack of a accelerator pump. Unless you change the cam or other internals, top speed will basically remain the same, bolt on mods will only increase acceleration.

oiled gauze next to not even having a filter.

I haven't seen the science behind the K&N being a bad filter. I ran a K&N in just about every dirtbike I have owned (30 years worth) with never had a speck (pun intended) of trouble. Had them packed with crud many times and never had any dust residue on the inside of the carb boot. I sometimes think we, as a community, have bought into the hysteria that oiled foam isn't worth a darn. I run a Uni on my pig simply because it's what the shop on the shelf. Would have bought a K&N if they had one. I run a K&N on my F150 and it sees as much dust as my bike (costs a heckuva lot more too). Don't lose a wink of sleep over it.

first mods for me (before the rejet) were functional/ergonomical stuff

if you're 6' or more, you'll want bar risers right away...here's some cheapies, but the rise is only 1.2" (I'd go for more personally)

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=70&prodFamilyId=25849&listingId=&sizeAttr=2521

eventually you'll want better bars/risers too, but in the meantime some cheap risers would make her more comfy to ride

the stock bars are so low they really fatigued the hell outta my shoulders and elbows when I first got the bike

footpegs, the stock ones must be made for leprechauns 👍 (size 13EEE here)

I use these http://www.d2moto.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=FP005

ok these things are awesome, best bargain footpegs you'll find

is it cheap chinese metal? yeah I'm sure it is, but I'm a big f*ucker and I've stood up on em everywhere with no issues...when they break, I'll let yaz know

handguards, I'm using these and they're pretty sturdy so far, but there's plenty out there to check out

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=69&prodFamilyId=9550&listingId=&colorAttr=489

if you deal with trees at all, you'll want real handguards...open country you can prolly go with stock "windbreakers"

another benefit of handguards though is to help protect the controls when you dump it

bash plate, look around the web, there's a few

other than that, I let her break in for a few hundred miles then did the rejet, foam filter, pipe, desmog, desnorkel - the desmog is not necessary right away, but if you're stripping things down anyway, consider doing it all at once so you can be DONE with it - the desmog kit can be had online for only like $20 or so (plates, plugs, etc)

Unless you are crossing deep water, the factory filter is the best at filtering, foam second, and oiled gauze next to not even having a filter. The stock bike will not melt down. Rich jetting just covers up some of the carb shortcomings like the lack of a accelerator pump. Unless you change the cam or other internals, top speed will basically remain the same, bolt on mods will only increase acceleration.

If you mod for more flow without rejetting, you will be on or across the line into being lean enough to cause damage.

Since it has a CV carb and is not prone to a sudden-lean condition, rejetting it richer for more response does not work.

Drilling the slide does help throttle response quite a bit.

Dave

I haven't seen the science behind the K&N being a bad filter. I ran a K&N in just about every dirtbike I have owned (30 years worth) with never had a speck (pun intended) of trouble. Had them packed with crud many times and never had any dust residue on the inside of the carb boot. I sometimes think we, as a community, have bought into the hysteria that oiled foam isn't worth a darn. I run a Uni on my pig simply because it's what the shop on the shelf. Would have bought a K&N if they had one. I run a K&N on my F150 and it sees as much dust as my bike (costs a heckuva lot more too). Don't lose a wink of sleep over it.

disagree, my Wrangler had one for a while and there was tons of residue and grit in the airbox tube. Yeah, I followed the directions too.

I dont like K&N at all. I trust paper filters

Thanks for all the input...I had not thought about the bar risers but have noticed the riding position for sure ie>6'1"... It has almost three hundred miles on it already so im thinking some tinkering will be in the near future. I don't think im searching for more power as much as I am the old school "lugging" and cooler running and some throttle response?? Got a deal on a new FMF Q4 on Ebay that I couldn't pass up " $230 shipped" so that's comming. From my searching it looks like the jetting should be 160/55 with air filter and exhaust???

Thanks for all the input...I had not thought about the bar risers but have noticed the riding position for sure ie>6'1"... It has almost three hundred miles on it already so im thinking some tinkering will be in the near future. I don't think im searching for more power as much as I am the old school "lugging" and cooler running and some throttle response?? Got a deal on a new FMF Q4 on Ebay that I couldn't pass up " $230 shipped" so that's comming. From my searching it looks like the jetting should be 160/55 with air filter and exhaust???

Would appreciate a link to that $230 fmf q4....thanks

hd

Item number: 200438821327

Seller: evsman

price for buy it now is $254.44 now, tell him you saw it yesterday for $214 maybe he will make you a deal shipping is $14.99

From what I can tell the "power core 4" is a different muffler then the "Q4" I haven't done much research on the subject but If you wanted a Q4 and ordered a Power core 4, well, thought I should say something now just in case.

(this is going from the information drtjnky posted for the pipe- Item number: 200438821327 )

Thanks for the catch... I went back and checked the original auction i di buy it now on and it says powercore Q4 so I am wondering what is going to show up now. In my jetting searches noe one is stating which jet companies number they are quoting. Anyone willing to share there jetting with this info as factory numbers don't jive with everyone elses.