Safari Tank - My friggen gas was boiling!!!

DR stalled out this morning as I was warming it up in the driveway. I tried to start it up again real quick and the battery turned over with no start and i was late for work so just left it and hopped in the jeep.

I got back from work, started it up and let it idle. It kept shutting off unexpectedly and I would have to restart it every so often without incident, this bike takes forever to warm up!

I let it idle for an hour, rode around a little, came back and let it idle again - ya, the bike was fully warmed up?

it was getting dark and I noticed a little smoke being illuminated by the headlight so I shut it down and rolled it into the garage... standing there in the silence I heard a slurping sound, put my ear to the tank and heard a bubbling sound, I THINK THE GAS WAS BOILING!

Felt around under the tank and the tank was HOT all around the engine and over the exhaust... does gas boil? am I losing it? ?

Boiling point of gasoline depends on atmospheric pressure, so it depends on altitude. I think it is around 400 F, but it can vary anywhere from 100-400 degrees F I believe.

maybe your tank vent was blocked and it was venting up through the carb.

That would explain stalling

If you mean the rubber tube on top of the gas cap, never bothered using it, should I?

I had to take the airbox out over the weekend to put a new spring on the shock, getting the airbox back in, connecting it to the backfire thingy, and then to the carb was a PITA... wonder if that has something to do with THE BOILING GAS!! ?? When I unscrewed the gas cap you could hear the pressure and some gas was leaking around the opening even though the tank was only a quarter full.

maybe your tank vent was blocked and it was venting up through the carb.

That would explain stalling

+1 i think you have a venting problem, either with tank under vacume or pressure from gas heating up, check tank vent, to check, leave cap off while running engine and see if it is duplicated. i wouldnt try ridding the bike with out a cap ! if the gas heats up and expanse it will force fuel into carb causing it to flood out, if it is creating a vacum, will starve the engine of fuel and cause it to stall out. i dont think the gas or oil is boiling !

I don't think you should let an air cooled biek idle for an hour... You probably did boil the gas and cooked the oil as well. You need to make some adjustments to get her warming up properly. Increase the idle speed and/or open the fuel screw. And change the oil you just cooked. I would think the bike would over heat after several minutes of idling. It needs air moving over the fins in the head and passing through the oil cooler.

I let it idle for an hour, rode around a little, came back and let it idle again - ya, the bike was fully warmed up ?

You let an air cooled bike idle for an hour? Holy hell, i think "boiling gas" is the least of your worries...

You let an air cooled bike idle for an hour? Holy hell, i think "boiling gas" is the least of your worries...

Ya, the DR can take it. All those 100 Degree days of stop and go on the HWY and I never had a problem plus it was close to freezing temps last night.

I'm gonna chuck the rubber thingy under the gas cap and see what happens.