Sign in to follow this  

Used 5L of fuel in 20min, could the float be too high?

Hey guys, I'm trying to find out why my bike chews through so much fuel.

I went to the dunes the other day and my bike used 5L in 20min. Sure it was in dunes, but thats still a heck of fuel for that amount of time with stock jetting.

the bike's an 09 250SX with "stock jetting" (thats what the guy i bought it off said). The bike feels rich, as ive set the idle as max on the carb, but the bike still idles heaps low and when idling low doesnt really like the throttle snapped on.

Also, when i rode it around the backyard i turned around at the gate, and saw drops of liquid on the ground where i just turned around.🤣

(the bike was nearly verticle when i turned around and i hadnt just topped up the coolant)

What do you guys think? 🙂 Is it the float level? (aswell as a too big pilot jet?) Oh and how would i fix it?

thanks, Mike. 👍

I'm no expert or anything ..... just a thinking man. Sounds like the float is stuck or you have some dirt or somthing preventing the needle valve from closing. Turn the fuel on without the bike runing and watch underneath for fuel dripping out of an overflow tube from the carb? Try tapping on the sides of the float chamber. May need a cleaning.

This just has to be a leak. I don't think the bike would use 5L in 20min even if it was on fire.

Scott