Sign in to follow this  

Link Bearing Removal!

I cant figure out a way to pull the bearings out of the u-link part of the linkage. If any of you have done it before, how did you do it?

The needles should fall right out. After that, the outer seals will come out real easy with a flat screwdriver. You really don't need a press to push them out. A decent size vice will work. Use a deepwell socekt that fits in behind the collar of the bearing cage. Use another larger socket that fits around the outside of the bearing cage so when it pushes it out, it will fall into the larger socket. You can push them both out in the same direction at the same time so one will fall out then you take that cage out and push the other one the rest of the way through. They're not in there that tight so if it starts binding, you probably need a bigger socket on the end so that the bearing cage will slide into it. Try to use a socket that's not too big but just big enough to where it won't get stuck. It's pretty easy to do. When you put the new ones back in, grease them up real good so the needles don't fall out. If they do, it's not the end of the world but make sure you don't have any spare needles. They will all fit in the cage as long as they're straight.

Hi the u shaped part your on about the bearing's will only come out one way you either need a blind bearing puller or take the needles out and use a dremal to grind a slot in the cadge then tap it out hope this makes sence

good look

I wasn't sure what part he was talking about. The U-link I didn't understand. Sorry if I lead you in the wrong direction.

no prob charlie i think honda call it a rod sub assembly i did forget to mention putting them back in use a vice and a socket as you did mention.

yea i did the actual link part with the sockets and then got to that part and noticed it wouldn't work like the others. i thought about the dremel idea and wasn't sure of that. but i might have to. i also have a small mill and think im gonna try that first.

yea go for it they can be a bit of a pig but keep trying.

I heat the aluminium link rod with a heat gun until its at about 150 degrees centigrade and then drive the old bearings out with a drift.

There is enough of the bearing cage proud of the inside bore of the rod to get a drift on to, and the rod will expand more than the steel bearing with heat.

The easiest way to check if you've got it hot enough is to spit on the rod, and when teh spit bounces off, that's hot enough.

Once you've got your old bearings out, then use the vice to press the new ones while tis still hot.

Ive just had to do this aswell, the way I found easiest, was to find something scrap (like an old nut, that fits nice inside the bearing shell) and using my tig welder, I welded the outer shell of the bearing to the nut, then just used a drift to press the bearing out from the backside.

It is easy to break away the bearing shell trying to use a drift to knock the bearing out in a normal manner