Sign in to follow this  

whats the best first bike

i cant decide bettween cbr gsxr r1 r6 etc.

i no the 1000 would beto much but i wanna see what you guys think.

I see you don't list any street bikes in you garage. so I assume this is your first street bike. if so, any of those bikes will kill you if that's your goal. I favor the CBR (CB series). 2 thing to keep in mind. #1 ALL AUTOMOBLIE DRIVERS ARE OUT TO KILL YOU. Make a label and stick this on the bikes windshield so you read it everytime you get on your street bike. #2. you can not talk your way out of a speeding ticket on a rice burner, however you can on a Harley if it's a motorcycle cop.

The cbr is my preference as well.... honda makes really good quality bikes. If you have to get one as your first bike get an older one... they are still really good/fast but way cheaper and not as devastating when you lay it down.

but as mentioned, any 600cc inline 4 is gonna kill a first time rider. Get a street legal small displacement thumper. The smaller ninja's aren't as deadly but they are just made poorly. the SV650 is still a pretty deadly bike.

Edited by Bender-250xl

im not worried about power. i would never get a ninja(there uuuggggggllllyyy). its not like ive never riden a bike before im not a stupid rider i no my limits.

Another thought with a sportbike for a new, young, rider is insurance premiums.

An older 600 that you can pay cash for, and ride with minimum liability coverage, will be about your only hope at the insurance co. Full coverage on a new 600 (especially if your under 25) can/will be upwards of $3000 or more per year. Liter bike.. you'd better be setting down for even a liability quote.👍

for a first bike, try to keep it to under 80hp and something your not scared to drop a few times... Almost any 600cc sport bike will spank ferrari's, vettes, ect in a race, just something to think about.

im not worried about power. i would never get a ninja(there uuuggggggllllyyy). its not like ive never riden a bike before im not a stupid rider i no my limits.

There's no reason to get a fast sport bike unless you like going fast. Really fast. And, if you are new to street bikes, you shouldn't be going fast.

You will have no problem going really fast in a straight line with any of the bikes you mentioned, and you will quickly learn to feel comfortable doing normal riding. You will feel confident and learn to do wheelies and ride at what seems like a fast pace on curvy roads. You might ride for six months or a year or more like this with no problems. And then one day, while you're blasting down the street at 60mph, some idiot will turn left in front of you at the last second--you will grab a fistful of front brake, lock up and hit that car at 60mph. Or, one day, you will misjudge a corner and start to run wide--you will not know how to turn in harder and drift into the oncoming lane, or you will back off the throttle suddenly, wash your front end and lowside into the oncoming lane. There's a million more scenarios like this, and until you know how to handle them, you are not safe on something as tempting as a sportbike.

After 18 years of riding and racing, I can brake and swerve as hard as anyone out there. In one afternoon, I could teach you to brake and swerve as hard as I can. But if anything has kept my ass alive all these years it is not how well I can handle a motorcycle--it is the knowledge, gradually acquired, of how not to get into bad situations in the first place; and a certain reflexivity, acquired by habit, of reacting appropriately to various situations. My friend, Gabe, the editor of CityBike magazine, likes to joke that all riders like us, who are still alive and riding after so many years, are "Giant Squids" who were just lucky enough to survive the early years of riding.

its not what you ride its how you ride it that counts, if you put kenny roberts on cx500, he would put most of us to shame. if your worried about how it looks things could ges expensive, purchase price then insurance.

Any 1000cc sports bike for a beginner is asking for problems. Lets just face it, no beginner should be on a bike that can speed on the highway in first gear.

Pick up a slower bike like a supermoto, enduro, or a roughly 500cc sports bike. You want something you can stretch the limits and get experience on without killing yourself in the process. After you think you REALLY need a bike that's RESTRICTED top speed is roughly 180MPH, then you start looking at a 1K sports bike.

i cant decide bettween cbr gsxr r1 r6 etc.

i no the 1000 would beto much but i wanna see what you guys think.

First get a job, save your money so you can buy a bike.

get your liscence. Get your Mom to change your diaper.

then go to a local bicycle store and get a tricycle.

Any one of those bikes is going to do what you want it to do so It's really a matter of preference. Whichever makes you tingle when you look at it is the one for you. If it's you first street bike, you may want to consider getting an older 600. Insurance would be cheaper, they're usually easier to work on and you won't want to throw yourself off a cliff if you drop it.

Everyone is going to tell you that a sport bike is a bad idea, and maybe they're right, but whats the point of riding if you're not in love with what you ride. It's part of the joy of motorcycling for me. You get a sport bike, you will inevitably go fast on it. Be smart about it. Take whatever safety course is available and ALWAYS gear up. I've crashed 5 times (2 were on the supermoto track) and walked away from them all thanks to my leather suit.

What is your age and exact actual riding experience both on and off-road.